Warp Drive is also used in Warhammer 40,000 to cross the vast interstellar distances, but in a different form to the one described above for Star Trek. Battlefleet Gothic, the game of space ship battles in the forty-first millenium, is the game you are most likely to come across this mode of transport.

The medium known as The Warp is one frought with danger. It is the Sea Of Souls, and malevolent entities who manifest themselves in the 40k world as Daemons. Ships are built in much the same architectural manner as space-going cathedrals, with high vaulted arches, buttresses, etc. The outside of the hull is decorated with gargoyles and other consecrated wards to ward off the malevolent entities in the warp.

Plasma reactors deep in the bowels of the Enginarium (Games Workshop has a fondness for bastardised latin titles,) work furiously to maintain the Gellar Field, an arcane technology that no one really knows how it works, but it serves to encompass the ship in a bubble of real-space as it travels through the warp to prevent it from disintegrating in the warp and exposing its crewmembers souls to be consumed by the Daemons.

Combat within the warp is difficult but not impossible, but it carries the risk for the loser of having their souls taken into the grasp of the dark Chaos Gods, as opposed to the blessed hallowed light of the Immortal Emperor.

As is to be expected in the Sci-Fi sphere, Games Workshop borrows heavily from both sci fi that has gone before it, from which you can draw the obvious line between Navigators and the concept of their ability of navigating an alternate dimension is ripped freely from Dune.