If there is anything that should be in a day log, it's whats going on in the world. So for now on, I'll be keeping the top headlines from around the world here. If there are any sources I'm not using that you recommend, please /msg me. Do you know an english language paper in South America, Eastern Europe, Africa, or Asia that updates daily? Let me know please.

Today is a light news day, as half my sources seem to not be updating.

Without further ado, here is today's top news from around the world:

The BBC's Top Headlines:

  • Pope builds bridges with Muslims
    Pope John Paul begins a four-day visit to Syria aimed at promoting religious harmony, as part of his pilgrimage in St Paul's footsteps.
  • Concern over GM babies
    The body that regulates UK fertility treatments says it will consider techniques which let scientists alter a baby's genetic make-up.
  • Zambian protests turn violent
    Angry protests break out after police fire tear gas at a crowd in Lusaka following President Chiluba's decision not to stand for a controversial third term.
  • Report criticises Israeli settlements
    An international commission calls for a halt to Israeli settlement expansion, according to leaked details of its findings.
  • Afghan refugees offered hope
    UN refugee chief Ruud Lubbers tells Afghans living in a makeshift camp in Pakistan that he will work to improve their situation.
  • White House website attacked
    The White House website goes down for more than two hours in what appears to be the latest attack by Chinese hackers.
  • UN imposes sanctions on Liberia
    The UN decides to go ahead with sanctions against Liberia, citing a lack of evidence that Monrovia has severed ties with Sierra Leone rebels.
  • Action to prevent Nigeria oil fire
    Experts in southern Nigeria prepare to spray foam on a huge oil spill in the Ogoni region to cut the risk of fire.
  • US spy plane 'could fly home'
    US officials say the spy plane grounded in southern China could be repaired - but Beijing has not yet given approval.
  • Mass graves found in Peru
    Dozens of bodies are found buried on a former army base in southern Peru - a discovery which could affect the country's election.
  • Arroyo promises return to normality
    Philippine President Arroyo says she will lift the state of rebellion, imposed after last week's violence, on Monday.
  • Wahid's faithful fight their jihad
    The Indonesian president's last bastion of support are his followers in his political heartland of East Java, who remain a formidable force.
  • Macedonia bombards rebels
    Macedonian forces unleash a fresh assault on ethnic Albanian rebels, who are accused of holding human shields.
  • Sexy shots shock Swiss
    Switzerland's ambassador in Germany faces calls for his resignation because of the publication of racy photos of his US-born wife.
  • Girls' secrets aired in Egypt
    A new film about pre-marital sex and teenage pregnancy is breaking taboos in Egypt.
  • Palestinians say base hit by missiles
    Palestinian security officials say their intelligence headquarters in the West Bank town of Jericho have come under missile attack
  • India war games begin
    India launches its biggest military exercise in over a decade near the border with Pakistan, practising its response to a nuclear strike.
  • Afghan women appeal to French
    The French National Assembly hears from three veiled women that that the Taleban authorities treat women worse than animals.

The New York Times' Top Headlines

  • U.S. Jobless Rate Rose to 4.5% in April
    The American job creation machine went into reverse in April as companies shed employees across much of the weak economy.
  • In New York, Millions Pile Up While Welfare Programs Wait
    Millions of dollars in federal welfare funds earmarked for programs to help the poor leave the welfare rolls have not been spent state budget officials say.
  • Serving on the Front Lines of the Battle for Bush's Washington Agenda
    The real work being done to redirect the federal government toward "compassionate conservatism" is being done by Republicans within the Bush cabinet.
  • Studios Make Deal With Writer's Guild
    Negotiators for Hollywood's film and television writers reached a tentative agreement on a three-year contract with the major studios and networks.
  • Babies Born in Experiments Have Genes From 3 People
    Some babies born from a new method used to treat a rare form of infertility have genes from three different people in their cells, researchers are reporting.
  • Both Sides in Forest Debate Await Administration's Next Move
    The White House's decision to put in place a Clinton administration rule to protect national forests but allow changes to be made locally kindled a debate over how the rule would be carried out.
  • European Media Lash Out at Leading Italian Candidate
    Italy finds itself subjected to a wave of bitter media attacks from across Europe aimed at the leading candidate, Silvio Berlusconi, the media baron-turned-politician.