I didn’t rent this by choice, but since I watched it, I might as well node

Cinderella II: Dreams Come True (2002)
73 min., Disney
“The Magic Didn’t End At Midnight!”

Director: John Kafka
Screenplay: Tom Rogers

Cast:
Jennifer Hale .... Cinderella
Christopher Daniel Barnes .... Prince
Susan Blakeslee .... Stepmother
Corey Burton .... Gus
Tress MacNeille .... Anastasia
Rob Paulsen .... Jacques/Baker/Sir Hugh
Andre Stojka .... King
Holland Taylor .... Prudence
Russi Taylor .... Fairy Godmother/Mary Mouse/Beatrice/Daphne/Drizella
Frank Welker .... Pom Pom / Lucifer


It’s the sequel that everyone has been waiting for! Well, no, not really, I can’t recall anyone clamoring for this straight to video sequel. It’s not really a sequel per-se because nothing really happens, it’s more like a collection of anecdotal tales about Cinderella and her supporting cast. But die-hard fans of the original might be pleased to see the fates of the mice, the fairy godmother, and Cinderella’s step-sisters. They might have mixed feelings about the hip-hop version of “Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo” that plays over the closing credits.

The film is a series of three tales woven together with the conceit regarding the mice making a scrapbook for Cinderella. They are:

”Aim to Please”
Screenplay: Jill Blotevoel and Tom Rogers

Now that Cinderella is a princess, she has royal responsibilites, such as planning the royal banquet. While Cinderella tries to keep it real by wearing her old clothes and making her own breakfast, some stern matron type named Prudence makes sure she wears giant hoop dresses, keeps the curtains closed and the commoners outside the gates, and selects bone instead of eggshell for the color of the napkins for the banquet. Naturally, Cinderella brings a very 21st century informality to the palace by convincing everyone to chuck those stuffy old rules.

“Tall Tail”
Screenplay: Jule Selbo and Tom Rogers

The faithful mouse Jacques is tired of being so short, shorter than the flowers in the palace garden even. He’s tired of being chased by cats and thinks that being taller will better enable him to help “Cinderelly”. So the fairy godmother turns him into a human, Sir Hugh. Sir Hugh still runs from cats, and from an unattractive woman who sees the bucktoothed Sir Hugh as a potential mate. Jacques loves being a human at first, but he begins to miss his mouse friends, and when a rampaging elephant threatens the festival, Jacques takes the opportunity to return to being a mouse a frightens the elephant out of its wits, thus being the most helpful mouse he can be.

”An Uncommon Romance”
Screenplay: Tom Rogers

Cinderella’s wicked stepmother is still the same old stuck up tight ass and is clearly not paying attention to the helpful life lessons imparted by Disney films. Her step-sister Anastasia is falling for the local baker, but her mother won’t have it and thinks the good-natured baker is “beneath” her. So Cinderella decides to play matchmaker, with a limited degree of success. Meanwhile, the mice are tired of being chased and so give the stepmother’s cat Lucifer a cat makeover to help hook him up with the stuck-up palace cat Pompom. Both matches face their humorous obstacles, but all is right in the end. It is, after all, a fairy tale.