A meteor is typically a lump of rock or metal falling from space into the upper atmosphere. If it makes it all the way to the ground it becomes known as a meteorite. Thousands of them crash into our skies each year, but most are not seen by people on the ground as they fall over uninhabited parts of the planet or are too small to show up. They also tend to break up rather quickly, so you are lucky to spot them. A person's best chance comes during a predictable meteor shower, such as the Leonids.

There was one night that I was fortunate enough to see a much larger and longer lived meteor from a French beach, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The sight was so special to me that I took in a lot of detail and am now able to describe to you those few seconds of it's flight.

The meteor appeared to my left, in my deep peripheral vision. At first it was just a yellow light that travelled almost horizontally. It grew to an incredibly bright white in a second and I turned to look at it, assuming it was a fighter jet flying low over the coast. As I focused on the object it began to dim slightly and changed to a greener colour. Pieces of it broke off and created a trail of smaller meteors in its wake. These sparkled and turned orange as they dimmed.

The main chunk started to dip towards the sea after maybe three seconds of my observation and the whole shower darkened to a red as it disappeared into the haze of the horizon. It lasted a total of around six seconds, but the memory will last forever.

Looking back on this sighting I have thought about how fast and how far away the meteor must have been. It's not unreasonable to assume that it was travelling at around 50km per second on entry, so even allowing for slowing it must have travelled around 250km by the time it completely broke up. I estimate the length of the trail of visible debris was around 100km and that the whole thing occurred several hundred km away from me.