American rock group.

Despite multi-multi-platinum sales in the States and worldwide, Matchbox 20's impact in the good old UK has been minimal. Push reached number 36 in the UK pop charts with virtually no airplay at all, and hits since then have also bombed spectacularly by their own high standards. Perhaps it's their Counting Crows-meets-Bruce Springsteen pure Americana vibe, but apart from by word of mouth, I have yet to meet a single English MB20 fan.

The driving force behind the band is undoubtably Rob Thomas, and it was no surprise when he found some fame at last on these shores thanks to the simply sublime Smooth which was featured on Carlos Santana's amazing Supernatural album. It reached #5 on the English charts and at least gave Rob and his band some publicity and cachet. However, both Yourself or Someone Like You and Mad Season have failed to make any impact on the British rock scene.

This is a pity, seeing as both albums rank very highly in my personal collection, alongside such elevated company as Out Of Time (REM), What's The Story (Morning Glory) (Oasis), Nebraska (Springsteen), August And Everything After (Counting Crows) and Appetite For Destruction (Guns'n'Roses).

Key tracks to listen to are Push, 3am, Real World and Busted on Yourself and The Most Beautiful Girl In The World, Rest Stop, Crutch and the title track on Mad Season.

Matchbox 20 supported Bon Jovi on their 2001 World Tour.