Ahhh Chiba,

Describing it as the most boring place in Kanto wouldn't be too far off, but for better or worse it was my home for seven weeks.

Suburbia indeed, the people in Chiba are polite and like their peace and quiet. Compared to Tokyoites they may seem downright quaint. Various towns or trainstops are often defined by the presense of a SINGLE shopping center, or leisure place.

For instance I can tell you offhand that there is a SATY in Myouden (and an Eigakan!), a Tsutaya in Gyotoku, and if you're looking for a place to escape the rain late at night, everybody's favorite 24 hour restaurant chain, The Bikkuri Donkii (Literally: "Surprised Donkey"), is present in force in Nishi Funabashi.

Architecture and planning range from small, comfortable stops with tiny Japanese style houses, to the ugly junkyard style sprawl your mother always told you about. I'm partial to Ichikawa Shi (on the Tozai subway line) which includes: Baraki Nakayama, Myouden, Gyotoku, Minami Gyotoku. There are a couple of English schools in the area, so spotting the occasional Gaijin is not that uncommon, and there's a great gaijin run izakaya in Minami Gyotoku. I can't remember the name, but it's right across the way from Mama's Diner.

If you're looking for fun in Chiba, the best spots are Tsudanuma, Chiba City, and Inage. Tsudanuma is the best place to go for bars, karaoke, or other amusements. Chiba City has a good game center and lots of shopping places. You should also check out a stop called Motto-Owatta, which actually has some cool clubs. There's a great punk club called Third Stage; tiny, but great atmosphere. There's also Lalaport in Minami Funabashi. I haven't been there, but it's a famous and incredibly large shopping mall. I've also heard from a friend that you can see movies there for under 1000 yen (about 10 dollars)! This is an extreme rarity in Japan, so if it's true be sure to take advantage.

I don't include Narita as really part of the Greater Chiba area, but if you're a tourist you should definitely go there. Get the whole experience and spend at least one night at a Ryoukan in Narita Shi. Eat some great unagi and attend a service at Narita-san temple. It's worth it.

While you're in the area, you should also stop by Kaihin Makuhari (Makuhari New City) but that's a different entry entirely.

Travel tips:

When in Chiba AVOID THE MUSASHINO LINE AT ALL COSTS. The trains only every half hour or so, and they end at around 10:00. Stick to the Keiyo, Sobu, Chuo... etc.

Nishi Funabashi is probly the biggest station in the area, other than Chiba City. Be careful because there is barely any romaji in the station. Learn the kanji for your stop and know it well.