This badass funk groove comes to all us cats out here from Isaac Hayes. It was the theme song for both Shaft (1971) and its remake/spinoff(?) made in 2000. In an episode of The X-Files in which agents Mulder and Scully are investigating possible vampire activity in Texas, there's a part where Mulder, inebriated by a drug-laden pizza, is saved from a vampire attack by Scully. She finds him lying on the floor singing a few lines from the Theme to Shaft, though he denies doing so later. The lyrics are below (words in bold sung by Isaac Hayes, words in italics sung by female backup singers) for your grooving pleasure. Most of the song is instrumental. It's 4 minutes and 34 seconds long.

Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?
Shaft!
You're damn right.

Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brotherman?
Shaft!
Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Shaft!
Right on.

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother-
Shut yo mouth!
But I'm talking about Shaft!
Well we can dig it.

He's a complicated man but no one understands him but his woman.
John Shaft.

The "Theme from Shaft" appears on quite a lot of compilation albums (usually of 70s music), as well as the soundtrack to both films and other movies that have used it (usually in jest), and an Isaac Hayes best of release. "Theme from Shaft" won an Oscar in the category of Academy Awards: Best Music (Original Song) at the 44th Annual Academy Awards.