He was an influential ruler in Athenian history. In fact, he was so influential that during the time that he ruled (461 ? 429 B.C) it was called ?The Periclean Age? of Athens. Pericles was an elected member to Council to the military committee almost every year during his leadership.

Pericles was known to be aloof, but his patriotism and eloquence was what won the hearts of the masses?and the ladies (he was known to have mistresses). He created a great naval empire, which aided in the alliance with surrounding cities and with islands in the Aegean Sea. He even built a wall that allowed for safe transportation of goods between Athens and Piraeus. Athens became immersed in a wealth it had never seen before. Literature and art flourished, such as the rebuilding of the Parthenon after it was destroyed during the Persian War.

Pericles had two policies: to extend democracy in Athens and to make the city the cultural and artistic centre of the Greek world. These two feats he was able to accomplish by remaining steadfast.

I have paid the required tribute, in obedience to the law, making use of such fitting words as I had. The tribute of deeds has been paid in part; for the dead have them in deeds, and it remains only that their children should be maintained at the public charge until they are grown up: this is the solid prize with which, as with a garland, Athens crowns her sons living and dead, after a struggle like theirs. For where the rewards of virtue are greatest, there the noblest citizens are enlisted in the service of the state. And now, when you have duly lamented, every one his own dead, you may depart.

This is the finale of Pericles? famous speech about virtues of democratic life, the ?Funeral Oration.? The great leader spoke it after the first year of the Peloponnesian War for all those who died because of it. The words spoken highlighted his charismatic and brilliant career as leader to the Athenians. A few years after this speech was given, Pericles perished in a plague that devastated all Athens.