This electronic book, published by Megadodo publications of Ursa Minor, has supplanted the Encyclopedia Galactica in many places as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom. Although it has many omissions, contains much that is apocryphal, or at least widely inaccurate, it scores over the older more pedestrian work in two important ways.
  • 1. It is slightly cheaper
  • 2. It has the words "Don't Panic" inscribed in large friendly letters on the cover.
The entry for Earth is originally "Harmless" but was extended by Ford (after editorial intervention) to "Mostly Harmless" which gives an idea of the scale of the Galaxy. This was also shown by the Total Perspective Vortex and its effect upon the a normal mind.

Originally a 6-part Radio series on BBC Radio 4 in March and April 1978 later extended to 12 with a Christmas special and a further 5-part second season. It was created by Douglas Adams. This has gone on to become a cult encompassing stage, book, record, television, and computer game.

The story centres around Arthur Dent (an Earthman) and Ford Prefect (not an Earthman) and their adventures after the Earth is demolished by Vogons to make way for a hyperspace express route. They meet Ford's semi-cousin Zaphod Beeblebrox (two-headed, three-armed ex-galactic president), Trillian (Tricia MacMillan, an unemployed Earth astrophysicist) and Marvin (the paranoid android). They all travel in the "Heart of Gold", a spaceship that Zaphod stole, with the shipboard computer Eddie. This ship is powered by the Infinite Improbability drive which leads to some interesting events.

Their adventures include:

This series is probably more more densly populated with quotable material than any other comparable series. In my youth my friends and I could quote entire episodes! It also gave us the Babel Fish, Vogon Poetry, and the importance of knowing where your towel is.

One of Neil Gaiman's lesser claims to fame is that he wrote a book called "Don't Panic" about the Hitch-hiker's Guide. Apparently a very good way to become totally fed up with something.

The radio episodes were named Fit the First, Fit the Second etc. in homage to "The Hunting of the Snark" by Lewis Carroll.

Legend has it that Douglas Adams came up with the idea while hitch-hiking round Europe, lying in a field in Spain staring up at the stars. However he says he has told the story so often that he cannot remember whether or not it is true any more.

A section from the original Fit the Third where Marvin hums like Pink Floyd and then "Also Sprach Zarathustra" was cut from later repeats and the commercial versions.

The theme music is "Journey of the Sorcerer" originally by The Eagles.


Thanks to TenMinJoe for grammar corrections
Thanks to baumbart for pointing out that Marvin the android is paranoid because people kept calling him an andriod (an insult not quite as extreme as Belgium). I am to spelling what Wayne Gretzky is to needlepoint.