1. What is your name?

Joe

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

I can fix anything.  But I may break it, first.

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

I was on Craigslist looking at ads for local bands that were looking for a middle-aged keyboard player.  There was an ad that said something like: "Think you can write?  Try contributing to E2."
There.  That.

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

My favorite one by Jet-Poop involves Nipsy Russell driving an RV through a shopping mall.  That image haunts me.  I giggle every time I think of it.
Of course, there are greats by so many.   So much talent here.  Why the Willow Weeps.  Smalltown.  Riverrun's bottom line series.   I don't want to insult anyone by leaving them out.

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

I have met some great people through E2, and at least one has become what I suspect will be a life-long friend.  We've gone through a lot together.  Kid's birthdays.  Graduations.  Weddings.  Divorces.  Girlfriends.  Holidays.  Almost divorces.  Near death experiences.  Miracles.  Don't forget the miracles.  Always miracles.

I brought some friends to E2.  But they left.

Least favorite is the whole C2 debacle and this idea that there is some kind of supremacy that is held, disbursed, and protected by the E2 oligarchy.  Like there is an oligarchy.  Like people cared that much to actually repress people and their art.  Heh.

6. What keeps you coming back (or not coming back, as the case may be)?

What am I missing by being here?  It seems fine.  Anyway, how can you "leave" E2?  It's not a place.  It's in the mind, and its people are always with me in there.

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

That it doesn't dissolve.  That it finds a spot in the electronic complication from which it emerged.

8. What does E2 mean to you?

With few exceptions I have checked E2 every day for over a decade.  That's a >20% lifetime investment, far as I'm concerned.  It's important.

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

Well, riverrun is my favorite noder because he's the only one I've been close to death with, or on a TV sitcom set.  Then, of course, dannye, because he defiantly puts ice in his beer, usually Miller or some such American swill.

Who do I miss?  Long list.  Halspal.  Panamaus.  Roninspoon.  Witchiepoo.  Chihuahua Grub. Heyoka.  Chiisuta.  Bones... good lord.  Bones lives no more than 5 miles from my house and I see his wife at the airport.  He may as well be on Mars.  Ouroboros. Walter. Then of course, people I've hugged but who no longer walk our earth: Grundoon. WolfDaddy.   Then there are people I hope are still alive but I'm not sure, like JohnnyGoodyear.

Etc.  It was/is a good community.

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

I think I sort of look like Giovanni Ribisi... 20 years younger.  But ultimately it would be Benicio Del Toro.  Not by choice, mind you.  They would cast him and I would complain, but it wouldn't be my call.

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

pie

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

Probably, but you can ask any time.  I'm usually around.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact iceowl or Jet-Poop.