1. What is your name?

Posmella

2. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

I covered this off on E2's actual decaversary.  It still holds true now: I joined this website because I laughed.  I became a noder because a lot of people put a lot of time and effort into helping me learn.  In particular (and in approximate order), Trina, alex, Gritchka, passport, Lometa, Fruan, creases and sid went through a lot of sticks and carrots while I grew through my first few levels here, and I gratefully acknowledge their assistance.  Mitzi, izubachi, wertperch, Bitriot and etouffee deserve a shout-out for their constant quiet encouragement.

I have never stopped thinking of myself as a beginner noder.

3. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

I pretty much dislike everything I've ever written.  I frequently cull my most embarrassing nodes (seriously, you have no idea how big my node heaven is).  My most fun to write was backpacking, and the node which took me the longest to write was These small blasphemies.  My fastest node was pho.  I don't hate them.  I'm always mildly shocked to see that my first node still exists.

There are so many other noders' writings that I love, and in naming a few, I forget so many others (but if I've C!d you AND followed up with a gushing msg, then you've definitely written one of them).  Particular ones which spring to mind are How did I get here, Sarah?, The future like a corpse in snow, All the gold you can eat and Want (the state of not having her).  There is something a little bit perfect about all of these.  I am also inordinately fond of Alexander the Great and the terrible, horrible, no-good very bad day and izu's version of And the things you can't remember tell the things you can't forget.

I am so in awe of some of you that it's ridiculous.

4. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

My favourite are generally banter-related.  You guys make me laugh SO MUCH, and I love watching everyone throw ideas at each other.  The time we drew all over the Catbox with crayons is a recent example.  Of course, I have loved getting to know some of you very well through the wires.  You are important to me.

My least favourite include some noders passing away, a couple of site policy changes, and a few of the just downright nasty/bitchy incidents.  I won't name names in respect of the latter, but there's still definitely room for pushin' niceness.  At the end of the day, it's a website, and there's no need to be cruel or impolite.  Please play nice.

5. What keeps you coming back?

The people.

The nodes.

In no particular order.

6. What do you hope for E2's future?

Evolution.  It's inherent that a volunteer-driven website cannot evolve at the rate of other websites, but I hope this place never sinks into total obscurity.  There's a lot of true quality material on here, and it is the constant hope of finding new material of the same calibre that keeps drawing me back.  I hope future users will experience the same, and that brilliant, creative minds are still inspired to share their words here.  As I've already said elsewhere, I look forward to seeing how these new and future users will define this place in their own terms.  Our true strength is in our ability to resist the static.  That, and the community we have formed.

I also hope for a return to stringent editorial standards, and for noders to begin fully critiquing each other.  I don't often get comments and critiques of nodes anymore, and as a result, I no longer feel like I'm improving.  A nuking of a node is often a helpful learning tool - as long as it's done respectfully and with full justification.

Finally, I hope for people to feel less alienated by site policy changes.  It's amazing to see so many so passionate about things as mundane as policy, but the droves of noders who have left as a result saddens me.  I don't have a solution to solve this, but it's a significant and recurring issue for this site, and something we need to address in a comprehensive and fully disclosed manner.

7. What does E2 mean to you?

I was going to be facetious and say "everything".  Silliness aside, it does mean a lot.

8. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

My favourites should know who they are - mostly because I will C! and compliment them to the ends of the earth.  (Seriously, I probably scare some of them with how fast I hunt down and C! their stuff.)  I'm mildly, and irrationally, resentful that a number of these people have stopped writing.  FEED ME WITH NODES, ALREADY.

Those I miss are too many to name, but a few of them truly stand out.  Gritchka I miss dreadfully (despite sporadically hearing from him since his departure).  Bitriot's Asamoth-style departure was a true loss to the nodgel.  I don't recall ever saying anything to JohnnyGoodyear, but I loved his work.  I'm sad to no longer see creases and bewilderbeast pop up in Other Users.    Many, many others besides.

9. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman or Zooey Deschanel, perhaps?

10. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

Civilisation.

11. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

Have you told the truth?

 

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact Posmella or Jet-Poop.