1. What is your name?

Christopher White. I go by Chris, obviously.

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

Oh, there's not much to tell. I keep a low profile. These days I work in a machine shop and be a husband and write when I have the time and energy. I was born and raised in Southern California, have lived in a few corners of the US, and have made a couple stabs at academia. I'm an uncle. I like to garden.

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

I don't remember how I discovered E2. I do remember that I had been writing my whole life but had never gathered the nerve to show anyone. 

Editors killed probably ten of my first twenty-five writeups. It made me want to do better. What ultimately appealed at the beginning, though, was the voting/experience system. I liked the idea of quantifying writing ability, which now seems a broken impulse.

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

I don't revisit my own stuff very often, but I think doyle's Ebb tide was lovely, as was bewilderbeast's writeup about riding on a train (it may have been a bus, and I forget the title), as is a large portion of junkpile's work.

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

I came in at a weird time. E2 "history" doesn't resonate for me so much. The honor roll was a good step, and Community2 was a kind refuge.

I guess my least favorite period would be the long realization after the 2003 outage that a lot of people weren't coming back.

6. What keeps you coming back?

My friends.

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

Ha--not playing that game anymore. Most of the people who had hopes for a great E2 future are gone, predictably (and understandably) enough.

I will say that I would have liked to see a GP toll for catboxing, and a broader (which is to say some) toolset for dealing with abusive users.

8. What does E2 mean to you?

It's a complicated relationship, as tribal ones often are.

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

I can't name anyone in particular. It wouldn't be fair. What I miss most is the combined energy. 

Happily, most of the users I was closest with still show up semi-regularly or are within easy reach otherwise. "Easy" being a relative term, of course.

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

Morose Rowan Atkinson.

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

A band of Kalahari Bushpeople.

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

No sir. Thanks for taking the time.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact Bitriot or Jet-Poop.