The Soviet T-62 Main Battle Tank comes after the T-54/T-55 in the "T" series of Russian tanks. It is basically an upgraded T-55 and was in widespread service, with over 20000 vehicles built in the 10-year production span, starting from 1963. The T-62 is of classic tank design, with 5 tracked wheels on each side and a egg-shaped turret.

Specs:

  • Length: 9 meters (with gun)
  • Width: 3.375 meters
  • Height: 2.265 meters
  • Weight: 40000 kg
  • Engine: Water-cooled diesel engine at 700 hp
  • Max. speed: 80 km/h
  • Armament: 125 mm smoothbore gun (automatic loader), 7.62mm coaxial machine gun, 12.7 remote-controlled DShK anti-aircraft MG

    Variants on the basic design include:

    T-62K - A command tank variant. It sports an extra R-122 radio, TNA-2 navigation system and 4-meter antenna, but carries less ammunition.

    T-62M - Addition of a 12.7mm anti-aircraft DShK gun on the loader's hatch. The T-62MK is the command variant of this model.

    T-62E - With an extra 3.9 tons this model has upgraded armor on the glacis plate, the turret and optional belly armor against mines.

    T-62M1 - A majorly modified version of the original, the M1 receives a new Volna BV-62 fire control system, Meteor M1 gun stabilization package, TShSM-41U sight, KDT-2 laser rangefinder and 1K13 guidance sight package. Furthermore the tank is outfitted with a AT-12 Sheksna laser guided anti-tank missile and an uprated V-55U engine plus a R-173 radio system.