This is a letter I found folded up stuck between two pages in a book I checked out from the library. The struck text was scribbled out, but it turned out to still be legible if you spent enough time looking at it. I think it's disturbing, and a little sad. I wish I knew more.


Dear Al,

You are a moron. I'm sorry. I bet every one else in the whole world has told you that too this week, but it's true. You are a dumbshit shit for brains kid that still thinks with your stupid dick. That said, you are still my friend. You were my friend before, and you’ll be my friend after, so I guess that means I think your (sic) my friend now. That said, I forgive you. I don’t know if I can forgive you, since I had nothing to do with it, but if I can forgive you, then I do.

I'm sorry the world is shitting on you right now. I read some of the articles about it, and I think they’re just trying to put the blame all on you and make you look like a monster or something. If nobody ever found out but me, I’d beat the shit out of you for even thinking about it, but since the whole world is doing that for me, I’ll just be your bro instead.

I keep thinking about how I wish I was there when the reporters were. I could have talked 'em up about you, like how you’re such a good guy, and you graduated college, and everything. I’ve got a whole speech worked out in my head, so I’m gonna write it down here so you can see what I would’ve said.

Look, Al is a really great guy, you know. I wish you all could have known him before this so you'd know that. Nicest guy in the world. Loved everybody. I think he just lost focus a little with Amber. If you had come up to me two days ago and asked me if I thought he'd try to pick up a 16-yr-old girl, I'd have told you you were crazy. You just don't do that when you janitor. Even the girls who walk around with their thongs half-way out of their pants. No matter what. If I'd known what he was thinking, I'd have smacked him up He was my friend before this, and he'll be my friend when it's all forgotten, so I guess he's still my friend now. Since everybody else hates him, must be my job to forgive him, and help him get straight.

Maybe I'll try to write that to the paper? Make people see how cool you were? We still love you, and I’m sure Jesus hasn't forgotten about you if you'd just ask. It's going to be OK.

J

P.S. Letter in her locker. Did you write that, or did you copy some book. At least you didn't touch her, right? Probably no jail time, and maybe we can find you a new job.