About a week ago I discovered the existence of my three half-brothers - two (R and T) from my dad's previous marriage (which ended when he left to be with my mother) and D, born some years before them in a different situation. A few days later, I went to the memorial service, where I expected to meet R and T. Oddly, I haven't actually talked face-to-face with my dad, or any of my immediate family, about the whole situation, which just goes to show how good we've got at avoiding such awkward emotional subjects, a skill I found myself putting to good use at the service yesterday.

It was an enormous gathering, bringing hundreds together, often from very far afield. Sitting in the church amid various cousins, many of whom I hadn't seen in years, I heard two unfamiliar people referring to my father as dad. Inevitably, they were right in front of me, which made for a nervous few minutes. I tentatively identified them as R and T, T being the younger of the two.

After the service, I spent some time casually staking out R and T. I suspect they were doing the same to me and my siblings. It seemed they knew my cousins and various other relatives. I had assumed they associated mainly with their mother's side, hence my not meeting them before. While this suggested a familial conspiracy against me on an impressive scale, it did at least mean I wouldn't have to meet them alone, and if they did hate me reflexively they couldn't be too rude in front of others. As it turned out, they were both charming and friendly (CON-sanguine, one might say). "Nice to meet you" was all we said of our meeting, which seemed to me rather inadequate to describe our long absence from each others' lives. I have no idea when it was they learned of my existence, of course. I was fairly quick to excuse myself in case my presence was fuelling well-hidden resentment.

As it turned out, D was there as well. Despite a considerable age difference, we immediately got on well, and I got the feeling the situation was not entirely unfamiliar to him. It was certainly interesting to meet my new brothers, and I hope to get to know them better if at all possible, though 20 years of enforced estrangement isn't exactly going to disappear overnight.

NOTE: Some details have been changed to protect the identity of myself and others.