Brand name of conjugated estrogens

Indications

  • Tablets: Estrogen deficiency. Moderate to severe menopause vasomotor symptoms. Postmenopausal osteoporosis. Atrophic vaginitis.
  • Injection: Abnormal uterine bleeding due to a hormone imbalance.
  • Vaginal cream: vaginal or vulvar atrophy.

Dosage for adults

  • Tablets: May be given cyclically (3 weeks on, 1 week off) or continuously. For estrogen deficiency or hot flashes and other vasomotor symptoms start with 0.625 mg/day. For vaginal dryness associated with menopause give 0.3 to 1.25 mg or more daily. For prevention of osteoporosis give 0.625 mg/day along with increased calcium in the diet of 1 to 1.5 grams/day and Vitamin D.
  • Injection: Non-pregnant women: 25 mg IV or IM. Repeat in six to twelve hours if necessary.
  • Vaginal cream: 0.5 to 2 grams daily in a cyclical pattern (3 weeks on, 1 week off).

Dosage for children
Not applicable.

How supplied

  • Tablets of 0.3mg, 0.625mg, 1.25mg, and 2.5mg.
  • Injection - 25mg/cc vials.
  • Vaginal cream - 42.5g tube with applicator; 0.625 mg/gram

Additional Information

Premarin was the #3 prescribed medication in the US in 2001. The name "Premarin" is said to have been derived from the source of the conjugated estrogens - PREgnant MAre uRINe. Please see the excellent writeup by Saige for more information about this medication and some of the controversy surrounding it.

Date of most recent Update: August 5, 2002

Further information is available in the writeup for the generic name(s) of this medication.