Horacio Altuna was born in 1941 in Cordova, Argentina. He published his first comic strips in 1965.

From 1967 to 1975, Altuna worked for "Ediciones Columbia" (The Columbian Edition), where he created the characters Big Norman (with Robin Wood), Hilario Corbalán (with Sergio Almendro) as well as Los Cruzados and Kabul (with Osterheld).

Altuna started working for Fleetway of England in 1973, and resumed this work until 1976. In 1975, he creates the character El Loco (aka Hugo Chávez) with Carlos Trillo, whom he came to work with many more times.

Leaving Argentina in 1982 to live in Barcelona, Spain, he continues his collaboratioin with Trillo, creating the Merdichesky, Charlie Moon, El último recreo (The Last Chance), Tragaperras (Vending Machines) and others.

Aside from his work with Trillo, Altuna has created the comics Ficcionario (Fiction), Chances (The Chance) and others. He has also created a series of short stories for the Spanish edition of Playboy, that has also been published in Holland, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Australia and Brazil.

He has worked with movies on two occasions, first in 1987, when he made the story board for "El Gringo Viejo" (The Old Foreigner), which was directed by Luis Puenzo and starred Jane Fonda and Gregory Peck. In 1989, his comic Las puertitas del Sr. López (The Small Ports of Sr. López - I'm not entirely sure of this translation, if anyone knows, kindly /msg) was filmed by Fisherman, and won prizes for best comedy in Switzerland and Argentina.

Altuna's style is mostly realistic/naturalistic (although some might say that all his women are a bit too large-chested - I certainly don't complain!). The stories he has made himself are largely run-of-the-mill erotica, but his Trillo-collaborations are excellent stories of a totalitarian dystopia, in which everyone are closest to themselves.

See also other Comics creators.