Vision, in psychological terms, is a tricky subject to define. Vision is one of the five physical senses (although some claim some or all humans have a less obvious sixth sense), and all senses are defined by how they adequate a stimulus, how the stimulus is transduced, and how the stimulus goes through a “coding” stage.

Adequate Stimulus: What the sensory system is designed to detect (vision equals light).

But… What is light? Light is electromagnetic energy waving its way through space. Visible light, that humans can see, exists with wave lengths ranging from approximately 380 nanometers (the color blue) to 760 nanometers (the color red). However, color exists only in the mind and our perceptions of the electromagnetic waves.

Transduction: The changing of one form of energy into another, and in terms of senses, this means changing the stimulus into a membrane potential.

“Coding”: A system in the brain and eyes that helps to decode which colors are which, what lights are blindingly bright and those that are very dim.

But… Mr. Science, whatever are these “codes”? There are two “codes”, one being the temporal code, which travels from one neuron to the next. This code detects the intensity of a light source by measuring the frequency of our nervous impulses. The second code is the special or anatomic code, which depends on the location of the neuron. For example, if your left arm is touched, your right arm doesn’t feel it, and in the case of vision, different neurons and axons are designated to different colors.