The distinction that must always be kept in mind is the one between voluntary and coerced behavior.

I assume that Mr. Biafra's proposal was for such a cap to be set by law, as was the cap called for in the platform of the Green Party during the 2000 U.S. elections.

The cap referred to by deep thought is a voluntary agreement by individuals to restrict their own behavior in the context of a voluntary association. (The fact that some of them cheat is not germane.)

Of all the wishful thinking indulged in by liberals, this should be among the easiest for any person to see through;

  • From a moral standpoint; it can easily be seen as a horrific violation of property rights simply by listening to the bureaucrat citing a violator:
    You, sir, are not permitted to give this sum of money, which is unquestionably your property, to that person, who is willing to take it from you.
    It amazes me that people actually think that it's their business to control other people that way.
  • From an economic standpoint; economics is the process whereby a person expresses how valuable e considers a thing to be, always in terms of what else e will give up in order to have it. Since labor is no different in an economic sense than any other good, in order to be consistent (not generally an overriding concern of liberals), they will need to put a cap on all other valuations as well.
    Hey, Presto!, every house within twenty miles of me right now are all worth the same! Now all I need is a law to force the owner of the one I want to sell it to me!
    How many times must price controls fail before people believe this?

And yes, ModernAngel, it and the other abominations you mentioned are UnAmerican. Well, they used to be; unfortunately, the definition of American has changed.