It's almost time to go.

He gets up from his desk and shuts the office door. He takes off the daggy shorts and ancient t-shirt and throws them into the corner, on top of the crumpled sleeping bag. Reaching behind the door, into the suit hanger, he retrieves a dark purple shirt, a silk tie and the black suit pants and jacket. When said items are arranged on his body in the appropriate places, he loads his pockets with various gadgets, and tries not to smile while he slides on his sunglasses.

Okay, let's check it out

He goes to the mirror. Ensure the hair is framing the face properly, the sunglasses are straight, the tie is sitting just right.

Excellent.

As he exits the bathroom, a transformation occurs. What is it? The straightening of posture, the subtle tilt to the chin? The fluidity of motion that was lacking before?

He slips behind the wheel of his 280ZX and starts it up. Then he casually turns on the CD player. He settles into his seat as the bass thumpings of the song from the Matrix battle scene ripple into his back. He smiles slightly and the car tears off into the distance, towards yet another meeting.

... Being a software consultant rocks. At least, it does when you're also a programmer. The most incredible thing about my job is I think to myself "Heh, yeah, I'll dress up like an adult and saunter around acting like I know what I'm doing. I'll pretend to be this ultra-cool consultant dude and people will respect and obey me, and then pay me lots of money (sheesh, yeah right!)". And then it works!. The first few times I couldn't believe it. People actually buy this "hail me, the computer god!" act?

People have always gone on about the difference that a bit of confidence makes to how people treat you. I didn't really understand until I saw it for myself.

For me, this whole thing is the ultimate in poetic justice. I spent the entirety of my school life thinking I was the dork, the nerd, the one that nobody notices. But now, at the age of 19, the tables have turned well and truly. In the adult world, your worth is determined not by what you can contribute the school football team, but what you can contribute to the workforce. And, forgive me this small piece of juvenile behaviour, but:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Much better. Thus concluding my rant for the evening.