The Babylon 5 Project

Season 1

Signs and Portents

    It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth-Minbari war. The Babylon Project was a dream given form. Its goal, to prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call - home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5.
      - Commander Sinclair

The Climate

    The Five Major Races are in a fragile peace.
      The Narn Regime and the Centauri Republic are at odds, their shared borders experiencing random skirmishes, and Peace between the two highly unlikely.
      The Minbari Federation and the Earth Alliace have a fragile peace, both cultures are wary of the other, however it was these two races that built the Station.
      The Vorlon Empire is silent and stoic, and being the first time that this ancient race has participated in diplomatic exchange, the other four major races do not know how to proceed with the juggernaught that is the Vorlons.

      The League of Non-Aligned Worlds remains loyal to the Earth Alliance, due to their help in the not-so-recent Dilgar War, thought their patience wears thin when Earth appears to big for their likeing.

    There is a mysterious force that seems to have allied with the Centauri.

    There is a growing isolationist movement happening in the Earth Alliance

    There is a larger isolationist movement happening in the Minbari Federation, and they are hiding something in regards to the Earth-Minbari War.

    The Vorlon Empire remains isolationist, their Ambassador, Kosh Naranek hides in a bulky encounter suit and no-one has seen the face of a Vorlon outside of Lyta Alexander, Dr. Benjamin Kyle and Ambassador Delenn. The first two individuals were recalled to Earth, Delenn is now trapped in a cocoon, of sorts, undergoing a metamorphosis.

The Plot

    Aside from the miscellaneous events of a deep space station, Babylon 5 has seen much in extra-related activity, and the beginning of a much deeper conspiracy. The Psi Corps has taken the station under much scrutiny, especially with the untidy cover-up of the escape of Jason Ironheart. The Psi cop Bester has personally taken interest in the station and it's personnel, specifically Garibaldi and Jeffrey Sinclair.
      ("Mind War").

    The Narn Regime and the Centauri Republic have also heated up their conflict, with various attacks on key outposts along their shared border. It seems to be a deadlocked fight, but a mysterious race appears to be fighting the Narn, on behalf of the Centauri. It also appears that Londo Mollari is tacitly behind this plot, as an unknowing partner with Mr. Morden, a mysterious stranger whom provides favors for Londo with, seemingly, no strings attached.

    The Vorlon Empire remains shrouded in mystery, the Vorlons make no attempt to interfere with the other races, and wish to be left alone. However, the Vorlons appear to have a relationship with the Minbari Federation and are very interested in the goings on of the Earth Alliance, specifically human telepaths.

      ("Midnight on the Firing Line")
      ("The War Prayer")

    The mystery of Babylon 4 is partially explained, when the massive space station appears in a temporal rift. Sinclair and Garibaldi move to investigate, only to return with more questions.

      Someone has stolen Babylon 4, and it has something to do with Sinclair?
      Babylon 5 will fall to destruction at the hands of invisible attackers?
      Zathras and his race steal Babylon 4 and take it where?

      ("Babylon Squared")

    We also learn a possible future of Babylon 5 from a Centauri prophet. The station will erupt in flames, and a single shuttle escapes.

      ("Signs and Portents")

    We learn that Epsilon 3, the uninhabited planet that Babylon 5 orbits, is not only inhabited, but contains powerful technology. Was this by accident, or is there a purpose behind the chose of the Euphrates System as the site for the Babylon Project?

      ("Voice in the Wilderness, Part I")
      ("Voice in the Wilderness, Part II")

    In the end of the first season, the President of the Earth Alliance is killed when Earth Force One explodes near the moon Io. Some have suggested that the Vice President Morgan Clark is responsible.

      ("Chrysalis")

    As Sinclair says in one of the closing lines of the season:

      "Nothing is the same anymore"