Kingmaker were formed in 1990 in Hull, England when schoolfriends Loz Hardy (guitar and vocals) and Myles Howell (bass) recruited ex-puppeteer John Andrew to play drums through a wanted ad.

They were signed to Chrysalis Records following the release of their debut E.P. The Celebtrated Working Man. Initially courted by the press as the next big thing they quickly fell out of favour as the Britpop movement took hold.

Musically they were a tight powerpop/rock trio characterised by the somewhat pretentious but always insightful lyrics of frontman Loz Hardy and driven on by the muscular, propulsive drumming of John Andrew. Evidence that they are deserving of a reappraisal in terms of their place in British '90s rock comes in the fact that, as well as great albums and singles, some of their best songs were released as b-sides such as Everything's Changed Since You've Been To London.

The band split in 1995 after the release of their third album, but following Loz's work on The Menace, the second album from ex-girlfriend Justine Frischmann's band Elastica, rumours have been flying of a reformation.

L.P.'s
Eat Yourself Whole (1992) Chrysalis Records
Sleepwalking (1993) Chrysalis Records
To Hell With Humdrum (1993) Chrysalis Records
In the Best Possible Taste (1995) Chrysalis Records
'Bloodshot and Fancy Free' The Best and Rest of... (1997) Chrysalis Records