To apply a seemingly relevant analogy, Do humans have the right to utterly destroy animals? What about baby animals? Or cute little fuzzy animals, for that matter?

Right or wrong, this happens. Animals are hunted (although some may argue that population control is sometimes necessary), rain forests are annihilated, and entire species are wiped out, every day. Of course, we humans attempt to justify all of this--in the example LordBrawl used (as with several such events in the Bible) God simply got mad and had some kids mauled. Unless we consider that it was the bald man himself who summoned the bears, in which case God can be left out of the discussion.

I think that the Old Testament did a lot to simply display God's power and wrath. Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt because she disobeyed a seemingly trivial command not to look behind her. It almost seems intended to make people fear him, while the New Testament contrasts this by displaying the more accepted Christian image of the loving, caring, friendly God.

The Christian/Jewish God depicted in the Bible was, as many have said, an omnipotent being who pretty much did whatever he wanted. Why? Because he's God. And whatever he did was accepted as being God's Will, or part of some larger plan. Of course, I'm an atheist, so I think God has just as much right to kill people as Santa Claus does, but that's beside the point.