What is a truffle?

A truffle is a type of tuber highly prized for its unique musky aroma and flavor. Strongly believed by many (including me) to be an aphrodisiac, the chemicals that make up the scent of the truffle is one of the holy grails of scent sythesis.

There are two main categories of truffles: white truffles (mainly Tuber Magnatum) and black truffles (mainly Tuber Melanosporum). White truffles are white, beige or light brown with a smooth skin. The white truffle is primarily found in the Piedmont region of Italy. White truffles are scarcer and have more flavor than black truffles. These truffles are primarily used raw and only shaved over the dish toward the end of preparation.

Black truffles on the other hand are dark brown or black, rounded, and covered with a polygonal textured skin. The black truffle is primarily found in France and Italy. It has a nutty, earthy flavor with a musky aroma. The black truffle is more frequently used in cooking than served raw.

Truffles are native mainly to temperate regions such as Italy and France; although they are found all over the world. Truffles flourish in open woodland in calcareous soil. They are saprophytes, usually associated with the roots of trees (mainly oak). Because truffles often occur at depths of up to about 30 centimeters (12 inches), they are very difficult to detect without the use of specially trained animals, usually pigs and dogs. In earlier times, virgin women were used to find truffles. In fact, there is a good book on the topic: Serve It Forth, by M.F.K. Fisher (North Point Press, 1989), has a wonderful account of "the last virgin woman truffle-hunter in all of France."

Truffles are much desired, associated with sex, and are rare: this makes them expensive. White truffles typically go for $150.00 for 100g while black truffles are a little cheaper at $110.00 for 100g; keep in mind these are for truffles preserved in oil. Very often fresh truffles can go for five to ten times this figure.

What can I make with some truffles?

I tried this recipe and found it to be simply awesome. Go to your local snooty market and buy two black-truffles (or failing that, order them online: google is your friend with this one). The smell and the flavor of truffles with be with you for days, but the memory will last far longer than that.

Eating this food with the opposite sex is highly recommended if romantic results are desired.

 

FETTUCCINE AI TARTUFFI NERI

You will need:

In a large mixing bowl add black truffles, white truffle oil, olive oil, butter, salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Stir all ingredients well.

In a pot of salted boiling water, cook fettuccine until al dente. Drain pasta and toss immediatly with the truffle sauce. Divide into two servings.

Using a pasta fork, Twist each portion into a heated serving bowl. Top with freshly shaved Parmigianno-Reggiano cheese and fresh chopped parsley.