"All the people throughout my life who were naysayers pissed me off. But they've all given me a fervor; an angry ambition that cannot be stopped -- and I look forward to finding a therapist and working on that."

In my opinion... one of the most talented actors of our time. No, this kid doesn't have Leo's perfectly effeminate chiseled features, but he more than makes up for his lack of conventional movie star looks with the charisma, wit, and determined conviction that he brings to every character. And now, the evil Hollywood machine is making him Spider Man- not Freddie Prinze Jr., not Brad Pitt, but him. I have my doubts about putting him in a blockbuster (or the superhero franchise, for that matter) but this kid is more adaptable then Peter Parker's DNA- and with new washboard abs for some street cred with the comic-book set.

Tobias Vincent Scott was born in June 1975 to parents--Wendy, a secretary, and Vincent, a cook, in Santa Monica, California. They were 18 and 20 and unwed when he was born and within two years they'd married and split, leaving Maguire to ricochet between them, moving constantly around California, Washington, and Oregon. Because of this Tobey grew up in constant uncertainty; and as the only child he would often play and act to himself for entertainment. This was probably the first sign of the acting bug, at least in his subconscious.

Acting/Filmography

Spider Man (2002) ... Spider Man/Peter Parker

Wonder Boys (1999)...James Leer

Cider House Rules (1999)...Homer Wells

Ride With The Devil (1999)...Jake Roedel

Pleasantville (1998)...David Wagner

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)...hitchiker

Deconstructing Harry (1997)...Harvey Stern

The Ice Storm (1997)...Paul Hood

[Don's Plum [(1996)

Joyride (1996)...J.T.

Seduced By Madness (1996)

Empire Records (1995)...Andre **

Duke of Groove (1995)...Rich Cooper

A Child's Cry for Help (1994 TV Movie)

Spoils of War (1994 TV)...Martin

Revenge of the Red Baron (1994)...Jimmy Spencer

S.F.W. (1994)...Al

This Boy's Life (1993)...Chuck Bolger

Great Scott! (1992 TV Series)...Scott Melrod

Roseanne (2/12/91)

Blossom (2/4/91)

Tobey considers himself a perfectionist, and claims to have "self esteem issues" and to never have watched himself in his own movies. He hangs out with the new Hollywood Brat Pack (Leonardo DiCaprio, Lukas Haas, David Blaine) but attests to never having touched a drink in his life. Currently, he lives in L.A. with a roommate, and has had a girlfriend for over a year (whom he swears to keep in secrecy.} He's into backgammon and yoga, and just recently quit smoking, a vice of his for over five years.

One of my favorite movie quotes (from the Wonder Boys) :

James Leer: You're not like my other teachers, Professor Tripp.

Grady Tripp: You're not like my other students, James.