A book by Walter Lord recreating the fateful night the Titanic sank.

Publisher's Note:

She was the world's biggest-ever ship. A luxurious miracle of twentieth-century technology, the Titanic was equipped with the most ingenius safety devices of the time. Yet on a moonlit night in 1912, the "unsinkable" Titanic raced across the glassy Atlantic on her maiden voyage, with only twenty lifeboats for 2,207 passengers. A Night to Remember is the gut-wrenching, minute-by-minute account of her fatal collision with an iceberg and how the resulting tragedy brought out the best and worst in human nature. Some gave their lives for others, some fought like animals for survival. Wives beseeched husbands to join them in the boats; gentlemen went taut-lipped to their deaths in full evening dress; hundreds of steerage passengers, trapped below decks, sought help in vain. From the first distress flares to the struggles of those left adrift for hours in freezing waters, here is the legendary disaster relived by the few who survived and can never forget the many who did not.


Noder's Note: The actual estimated total of passengers aboard the Titanic was around 2,220. (705 survived.) Also, the builders of the Titanic never claimed it to be "unsinkable" - it was an article in Popular Mechanics which proclaimed the Titanic to be "practically unsinkable." The media dropped the "practically."

Noder's Note: The synopsis says "moonlit night", but there was no visible moon the night the Titanic sank.

Accipiter has been a Titanic history buff since 1985.