Last night Brian down the hall let me borrow a MDK2 demo. It brought back fond memories of playing MDK years ago. I don't know what about it made it so much fun... the running into a huge open arena full of enemies and taking them all down, the one level where you get to snowboard down this looong halfpipe, the wacky and subtle humor of the entire game, the GORGEUOUS arenas and level detail, or whatever it was, it was a cool game. So of course the demo is way too short and I need more.

I quickly post a message on my GMU BBS asking if anyone had it, do a Google search for "MDK2 warez", and note on my dry erase calendar thingy to call stores Monday to see if they have it (I do plan on buying it). Google search is very promising, all the warez sites point to one of two internet drives. One of them is down, other works fine (WOOHOO!). I download 16 out of 40 files before idrive bitches that "daily allowed download limit has been reached". Damn. I NEED IT NOW! So i hit #monsterwarez and #cablewarez on Undernet (#123warez was pretty silent). After 10-20min of watching scripts advertising, I get a pretty hefty list of FTP logins. Most are full, but I managed to get into two of them. One was filled crappy shareware/freeware "warez". Other has some nice stuff like SimCity3000 and HalfLife- but no MDK2. I noticed it had a folder called Packet Radio. For those that don't know, packet radio is like networking/hardware/radio all combined into one- but all it had was 20-30 folders with random names. It'd probably be pretty useful to someone who knows alot about it, but was worthless to me. The server also had an interesting folder called "Schematics" which was filled with all sorts of ascii/gif blueprints+plans for random electronic stuff.

Later on torwards midnight I check idrive to see if it's "tommorrow" yet- but alas, idrive's on PDT and I'm in EST (4 hours ahead). Scanning my FTP list also results in nothing again. Four hours later (I was up doing homework anyway), idrive still doesn't let me download anything more!! It must do it in 24 hour streams rather than set times. Damn. (Also note that BBS lies quiet)

One good thing though- while doing my Computer Science "BigInt Project", I realized that mutiplying was just adding a bunch of times. And since I'd finished writing the functions for adding and subtracting, multiplying would just be super easy. Hehe, nevermind the fact that adding 3,000,111,008,899,437,506 (that's 3 sextillion or 3 thousand trillion trillion), 71,005,692,122,864 times (71 quadrillion or 71 million million) would take a very, very long time. Plus I decided "screw the TA" and made it recursive, thus allowing my program to take up gargantuan amounts of memory too!

Needless to say I never ran the program with the test data (3,000,111,008,899,437,506 and 71,005,692,122,864) but safely assumed "it should work". I also emailed my TA (teaching assistant, the one who checks our programs) cautioning her to not run my code. If she "okays" it, I'm thinking of programming this way all through college...