Let us consider the aboriginal's point of view in Australia: most people living in that country are unlikely to have fully understood the term "heirship" as it pertains to descendants of those native inhabitants who have been systematically and quite cynically displaced, murdered, and had their land stolen by foreign newcomers.

When outsiders come into a country and seize the land upon which the original and existing inhabitants dwell, they have effectively robbed them, and their down through the ages, right to inherit, not only the land, but to continue their millenary and complex cultural ways and approach to life, as well as robbing them of their inalienable natural rights to their history.

Some Australians feel and argue that the fairest long-term plan for the Australian Aborigines must be their total and radical integration into Anglo-Australian society as "equal" citizens.

However, most indigenous societies have no interest whatsoever in integrating with a way of life and mindset which is fundamentally alien to them. The now numerically dominant culture calls this "assimilation". There are truer and more honest words which describe this better, even though they may seem radical.

The fairest long term plan would have been for the European settlement to have asked permission to integrate into the Aboriginal culture and live peacefully side by side, adhering to the native laws, not surely the other way round.

The Australian Aborigines are the oldest continuous population outside Africa: they are the people who have longest occupied their traditional territory. Hence, modern Aborigines are the direct descendants of the explorers who arrived 50,000 years ago. To put this in perspective, this represents 2000 to 3000 generations. Thousands of generations in which an entire and complex culture has developed, which has adapted in an optimal way to the territories, fauna and vegetation. In a world that so often misuses "green" issues for short-term political convenience, should the carefully balanced native ways which embody true husbandry of resources not have their say in any intelligent and sincere political debate?

Had the original Australians not been forced to live on reservations or in missions, had they not been undereducated, forced to work for rations, and generally treated like dogs they would not be reliant upon the government dole today. Alcohol has also been a scourge in the deepest social way possible, and for this the newcomers must shoulder the full responsibility.

Perhaps those who feel the Aboriginees are taking unfair advantage of the handout system should read Bruce Chatwin's The Songlines to get an idea of who these ancient people were and what they have lost, before expressing an opinion on what would be an equitable fate for this unique race. Perhaps the person who takes that trouble to inform themselves about what richness of culture can bring to everyone involved would radically rethink their position. A fair and sincere person can surely only come to one conclusion about where the balance of fairness and unfairness really lies.