The alphabet tends to impede the western comprehension of the computer. The psychological effect that "literacy" has on a culture is one of specialization and fragmentation. Literacy fostered democracy, industrialization, and point of view communication. This brings about some conceptual problems.

Once it has been recognized that the computer is not a medium, the highly specialist form of thought begins to have difficulty dealing with new information formats. With the acceleration of information, the individual and fact elements of the content are harder and harder to distinguish. There is much more data provided, but the context is left for the user to derive. This is a sharp contrast to a book-form literary style of communication.

People are ill-equipped to deal with computerized media concepts, let alone content.

Perhaps the eastern mode of thought, with its less fragmented, more kanji or gestalt perception of things adapts better to post-automation, information age ideas.

In an industrial age, the alphabet is the "superior" mode of communication, better adapted to those conditions. However, a shift is about to occur.

just take a look at the evolution (or disintegration) of the english language.