The "ylang-ylang tree" is a member of the custard apple family, and has the designation Cananga odorata.

The essential oil, distilled from the flowers, is commonly used in soaps, cosmetics, and expensive perfumes, and gives a distinctive "Oriental" characteristic to these luxury items.

"Flower of flowers"

Sweet, heady, almost hypnotic in its effect, ylang-ylang (sometimes disparagingly called "poor man's jasmine") is a wonderful and versatile essential oil. Pronounced 'ee-lang ee-lang', the name is Indonesian in origin.

It is distilled from the flowers of Cananga odorata var. genuina (a member of the tropical Annonaceae family). This tropical tree grows to a height of about 25 feet, and bears a profusion of pink, mauve or yellow flowers, which are picked as early in the day as possible, while they are at their most fragrant. The tree is native to Madagascar, Commoros, Reunion, Indonesia and the Philippines, and the flowers were traditionally used in a salve to counter inscet bites or ward off fevers (although in Indonesia the flowers were spread on the bed of a newlywed couple).

Its uses today include reducing tension and stress, and relieving mild depression by uplifting the spirits. Its aphrodisiac qualities are well-known. Certainly, it has a relaxing aroma, and quietens and calms. Some people have also used it in the treatment of frigidity and impotence. In bathwater or applied topically, the effect is almost instant - inhaling the heavy scent immediately relaxes and mildly energises.

Ylang-ylang works well in blends with bergamot, geranium, mandarin, patchouli and sandalwood.

Some cheaper oils may come from the inferior Cananga odorata, but more honest oil suppliers will label this simply cananga. It is certainly less fragrant, and has somewhat different effects.


Caution: This oil should not be used if skin is sensitive or broken, and excess use may lead to nausea or headache.

Aromatherapy is not a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. If you have a health condition, consult your physician. If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, consult your doctor before using any aromatherapy products. Do not take essential oils internally. Keep essential oils and all aromatherapy products out of the reach of children. - http://www.celestialtouch.com

Sensuous, sweet, exotic, heavy--these are all very accurate when describing the scent of ylang-ylang. Pronounced variously as 'ee-lang ee-lang' and 'lang lang', the ylang-ylang tree comes from the botanical family Annonaceae, the Custard-Apple family, and bears the genus name Cananga odorata. Meaning 'flower of flowers', the word ylang-ylang comes from the Tagalog language of the Philippines, one of its native regions. In Malaysia, the ylang-ylang tree is known as 'kananga', which is where the genus name 'cananga' comes from.

The ylang-ylang tree grows to be about 60 feet tall, with long, slender branches which droop under the weight of the six-petaled yellow, pink, or mauve flowers it bears, which are large and fragrant. A tropical evergreen tree, it is found primarily in low-lying tropical areas from India and stretching south-east all the way to northern Australia. It is native to India, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines, and has been introduced to Australia, New Zealand, Madagascar, Mauritius, and the Comoro Islands for commercial purposes.

Traditionally, the ylang-ylang tree has had many uses. Because of its pleasant shade, but moreso its wonderful aroma, the ylang-ylang has always been a popular shade tree, similar to lilac bushes in the United States. The scent of ylang-ylang is also thought to be an aphrodisiac in many cultures and countries such as Indonesia, where the flowers are scattered on the nuptial bed. For hundreds of years, peoples living near the ocean used infusions of ylang-ylang in various oils such as coconut to protect their hair from the harsh salt water. Also, in Victorian England, ylang-ylang was a popular ingredient in pomades.

Today, ylang-ylang still enjoys popularity in various forms, from a popular scent in perfumes to a common additive to skin care commodoties to flavoring in sodas and desserts; however, its most popular usage is as an essential oil.

As an essential oil used in healing, ylang-ylang can aid in treating countless ailments and negative emotions. They are as follows:

Ylang-ylang has been scientifically proven to relax the mind yet also stimulate at the same time; this is, perhaps, why ylang-ylang is so effective in helping to aid in the relief of psycho-sexual problems such as frigidity and impotence. Also, because of its relaxing properties, ylang-ylang helps to gently lower high blood pressure and can also relieve symptoms of insomnia, along with minimizing stress and tension. In addition, many massage therapists use ylang-ylang in their massage oils because of its therapeutic usefulness. Ylang-ylang has even been shown to help calm agressive behaviors in dogs and other animals.

For ylang-ylang essential oil, it is believed that yellow flowers hold the most superior scent. In extracting the essential oils from the flowers, the steam method is most commonly used. First, flowers are always picked after dusk or in the very early morning, as that is when their aroma is strongest. Next the flowers are distilled in steam, and the oil produced from there. The first 35-40% of the oil--otherwise known as the first fraction--is the highest quality oil. It is commonly labeled as 'ylang-ylang extra'. The second fraction is simply called 'ylang-ylang'. The third fraction, which is the lowest grade, is often labeled as 'cananga oil'. Some distillers do not fractionate their oils, and this is known as a complete oil.

Though ylang-ylang has many excellent benefits, it does require a bit of safety information. Ylang-ylang has been known to cause nausea and/or headaches when used frequently. Also, ylang-ylang should not be used by individuals with low blood pressure. An essential oil should never be used undiluted. This can cause hypersensitivity, burning, and/or rash. As with any essential oil, consult a doctor or professional aromatherapy practitioner if you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damages, or any other health risks.


Sources:
http://www.aromatherapy-essential-oils-guide.com/list/essential_oils_list_y.html
http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoilspz/ylangylang.asp
http://www.shef.ac.uk/aromatherapy/ylang.html
http://www.choicesforhealth.net/Aromatherapy/ylang_ylang_oil.htm

Y*lang`-y*lang" (?), n.

See Ihlang-ihlang.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.