World-as-myth is a theory, developed by Robert A. Heinlein for several of his books, all of which overlap upon a central storyline. In these books, a device exists, whose proper name currently eludes me, which has the ability to perform basic geometric transformations on 6-dimensional space. As I gathered from what he describes in these books, here and there, the six dimensions are the three physical dimensions, x, y, and z, as well as three time-based dimensions, t, teh, and tau (all three corresponding to 't' in different alphabets). This little machine, which took no proper power, just performed a few minor adjustments to reality, and could translate or rotate itself and anything it was attached to through any magnitudes in any of the six mutually perpendicular axes.

Anyhow, in the end they found that moving through one of the three time axes (one of the two axes which we don't use, apparently) one could cut across sections of possible timelines; as one moved further along the axis from their relative home position, they got into realities which divided from home's further and further back along the time line. Somehow, they found a neat way to scale this and the other unknown axis so that they could, with some control, jump through realities that were noticeably but not entirely different from home's.

But it gets worse. At some point, they also found that they could rotate around one of their axes and thereby shift themselves into a whole new array of spaces, analogue to home's, but whose time worked on a whole different axis... therefore time spent there didn't add up to time spent on our axis for anybody but the traveller. A wonderful little trick they used to 'miracle heal' wounded soldiers from the 1940's in one time line (not ours, but not all that much different from ours, either. I think as I noted it, the main difference was that space travel was put (left?) in the hands of private business, but another big one would be that people from thousands of years in the future had sent information back in time to help those there to win big on the stock markets. In this interpretation of time travel, by the way, every paradoxical interjection was already calculated for in the final outcome, so truly destructive paradoxes were considered impossible. OTOH, they broke this rule a couple of times, so I'm left up in the air as to what the actual paradox ruling was, in the end. Sheesh!

There was no more than passing mention made about the possibilities inherent in rotating amounts smaller than ninety degrees. I think the author would have had an early death had he tried.

So, to get back to it... they found that by passing along the previously unmentioned sixth axis (editor's note: This may actually have been a consequence of rotating around the t axis, our time axis, so that time didn't stop but they were still existing in perpendicular reality set as it were. I don't know, and I'm working purely from memory), they actually transited into realities dreamt up by members of other realities (the main characters of one book found themselves in a comic book series of another reality); as a result of this finding, they came up with the (reasonable) theory that all of reality, the entire 6-d multiverse, was in fact created as a result of someone else's myth, every element within it a product of another element within it.

So the final sum is that I strongly recommend any and all of these books to you if you like a good mind bender with some burlesque thrown in. :-)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.