Imagine that, a company that's interested in making money....

The thing I love most about Yahoo! is the breadth and, more importantly, the integration of their various services. I can upload a series of digital photos, select one to be used in a web greeting card, select an alias from my email address book, and send it all off at once without having to make a single round trip. Or I can go to their yellow pages site, search for a business address, and automatically generate a map and driving directions to it. Their online shopping mall lets me check out items from a dozen different stores and check out items from them all at once using a single wallet account. Their My Yahoo! portal allows me to combine world news, a Google-powered search engine, new movie reviews, and the balance in my checking account all on one page. It's the ultimate one-stop shop.

The genius behind Yahoo! is that they don't pull a Microsoft to get where they are today. Yahoo! almost never acquires anything -- neither search engines, nor stores, nor banks, nada. They partner with other sites, like MapQuest and Google and Reuters, to produce great content with minimal overhead. And if a new search engine or mapping site comes out tomorrow that's significantly better, they can switch over to it with the flip of a contract. It's hyperlinking taken one step further, and it's made them one of the few true success stories on the Internet.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.