Yes, I used to be a journalist ... I used to be one of those people that wrote out the news so that everyone else could understand, interpriting and condensing the world so much that even the average American with his or her ten-second attention span could understand what was happening in the world. I felt good - I felt like I was doing a service - bringing the world to the level where everyone could understand. I felt like I was doing all of you a favor.

So ... why did I stop?

Because I had to gloss over the horrific things that human beings do to each other, making them sound like flukes of fate, accidents, or the product of a deranged mind. I had to make you believe that, really, these people were nothing like you.

I had to lie, making the world sound like a better place than it really is, pretending that we really weren't miserably losing the War Against Drugs, the war against the "Commies" or the war against the pagan, heathens in the world that threatened how we lived.

I could not tell everyone how fucking selfish we are ... how unbelievable bitching about not having a car is compared to not having any food.

Because I had to tell myself, just like everyone else, that everything was ok, even when I knew it wasn't. And I got to a point, when I could no longer handle the knowledge that I had, that I felt I had no other way to go but to stop. So I did.

I was a journalist too. For a time. I guess, having a degree in the subject will always make me a journalist, but I no longer engage in the profession either. Why?

Well, besides low pay and constantly having to hound people to get their opinions on boring subject matter, being a journalist is sometimes a soul destroying thing for one reason: sometimes there is no news and without news we don't have jobs, so we create news.

I sometimes smile when I walk past a newspaper billboard or watch the news on TV. Sometimes there really is not much juicy gossip (news has really been reduced to gossip in the last 20 years) and they blatantly create a mountain out of a silly molehill to make you buy the paper or watch their channel. It is especially noticeable in the United Kingdom when compared to back home in South Africa. Imagine leading a news broadcast with the fact that the Prime Minister's wife is pregnant! Is this news? No. Its gossip. And I will have no part of it thanks. I dont want to work for Hello! Magazine.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.