There is much to be said in favour of washing up liquid, not least about the many fashionable colours it comes in. We've all seen them. Blue, Green.. Yes even red washing up liquid. But that's not what this writeup is about

This writeup is about something entirely different - namely the many great uses for washing up liquid. You wouldn't think so, but throughout my disturbingly short life as a student (3.5 months and counting), I have found this liquid to be my jack-of-all trades.

Advantages of washing up liquid

  • It is cheap - Well.. it's cheap most of the time anyway. Make sure you get one of those giant bottles of a no-name brand and you are safe. It might not smell like roses, but c'mon - if you had all the money in the world, you wouldn't be reading this writeup on alternative uses of washing up liquid anyway!
  • It is non-poisonous - To be honest, do not quote me on this. I have never seen any toxological reports on washing up liquid, so I might be wrong. On the other hand, I can't help but thinking: You wash your cutlery and crocklery and glasses in it every day, and you haven't died yet. It's probably not poisonous.

Ways I have found washing up liquid useful

Doing Dishes - yes, I know.. Most people would think it is rather obvious that you can do dishes with washing up liquid. This is one of the most common uses, but (and the reason for mentioning it here)

Washing hair - Hah, you didn't see that one coming, did you? Shampoo and washing up liquid are actually pretty much the same thing, except shampoo has additives that makes it smell better and it has vitamins and pro-v and god-knows-what in it. c'mon, show some common sense! Anyway, washing your hair with washing up liquid is no problem. Just don't get it in your eyes!

Washing the bathroom - When I was in a tight spot (i.e out of cash) a while ago ago, and had to wash the bathroom, I didn't have any washing equipment.. I thought something like: Hmm.. I want this shower and toilet to be clean enough to eat off of. So I thought: What do I clean the stuff I eat off of with? The answer was, of course, washing up liquid. I was a bit nervous at first, but the results were flawless. never seen such a clean toilet and shower before!!

Washing computer monitors - You know this screen-cleaning shite you can buy in computer stores for rediculous amounts of money? Well screw that. A few drops of washing up liquid in a bucket of lukewarm water is perfect. Wipe the screen with a damp cloth, and wipe dry. Tadaa!

Washing floors - You can tell I am getting excited about washing up liquid now. I discovered that if you use a medium-strong solution (Say a table spoon in 7 Liters of water) of washing up liquid, you can use it to wash floors! Works perfectly.

Washing cars - car polish, car schmolish. Use a strong solution (half a cup) in a bucket of warm water, and you can clean any car in no-time.

Blowing Bubbles - Okay.. Who says washing up liquid is just for work? A few drops of glycerine and washing up liquid makes wonderful bubble-blowing mixture! (thanks)

Ways I have found washing up liquid less useful

Brushing teeth - Yes. You can stop laughing now. I got so hyped up about all of those beautiful new uses, that I actually tried this. Not a good idea. (and yes, I was sober.. Go figure). Now I buy toothpaste :)

Ways that I have yet to try using washing up liquid

Washing clothes - My mom was wise enough to give me a large box of laundry detergent before I moved out. It is almost empty. When it's completely empty (and I will forget to buy more, I can tell you that already), we'll find out.

 

Have you got any suggestions on how I need to try washing up liquid? I mean - I have tried to brush my teeth with the stuff (argh), so I guess the worst part is over and done with. Also: If you know anything about the chemical formulae or something - please do node it. I couldn't find anything about it (and frankly, I find it very little interesting)

 

oh yeah - I have tried all the things mentioned, and none of it has killed me. However, if you choose to try, do not blame me if all your hair falls out, if your floor starts smoking, or if your cat commits suicide. (or anything else, really)

-30-

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.