Phacochoerus africanus
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Artiodactyla
Family: Suidae
Subfamily: Phacochoerinae


The warthog is an unpatterned, wide-faced, gray hog with two pairs of curved tusks and two pairs of wartlike protuberances that are obvious on the male but subtle on the female. The tusks protrude from the upper and lower jaw, where they are shorter. Those of the upper jaw curve upward and those of the lower jaw are used as sharp weapons against predators - though not on other warthogs. Tusks are not used for foraging. Their bodies are stocky and bristly with cheek whiskers and a long tail tuft 13-19 inches in length. Height ranges from 24-27" and weight from 99-220 lb.

The warthog's diet consists mainly of grass, though during the dry season it feeds on seeds from grass stems and the rhizomes and culms of grasses. Its ability to sustain itself from these obscure sources make it a particularly successful herbivore. They may also eat berries, bark, carrion, and roots.

Females form small groups and raise litters in sounders up to 16 hogs. Both male and female warthogs reach sexual maturity at 18-20 months. The female offspring, also, shall likely stay in the mother's herd for the duration of their lives. Young males part from their mothers by a 15 month period at maximum, and do not ordinarily mate until 4 years of age. Males usually form groups only during mating season; older males are solitary. All offspring are driven off during new births, but may return later.

The warthog is diurnal but may become nocturnal if near humans. They can run as fast as 35 m/h (55km/h). Their eyesight is poor, but sense of smell and hearing are acute.

The warthog's habitat is mainly on the open savannahs of Africa, and like to have a nearby water source. It sleeps in aardvark burrows.

Their conservation status is special concern, owing primarily to its tusks.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.