The dance and the music are both in three. The waltz is an old dance, and has both old world and new world styles that can be mixed at will. In old world, you turn slightly counter-clockwise with each group of three steps, kind of a mix of diagonal and turning motions. New world, you just move down the line of dance. An old world way to move down a line of dance is the Vienese Cross, a complex manuver in which one partner revolves 180 degrees around the other, and then the other revolves around the first... repeat. Stunningly beautiful when executed with grace, a waltz can flow like water.

The waltz first originated in Austria in 1781 and became increasingly popular throughout the 19th century. The term waltz originated from German word walzen, meaning to roll or revolve. The waltz developed from the Austrian dance called the ländler and the German peasant dance called the weller. The waltz first shocked polite society as waltz partners held each other as if in an embrace.

The waltz is a 3/4 time or 3/8 time dance, based on three steps. The first of the 3 beats is strong and propulsive, followed by 2 lighter beats. It sounds like this: ONE, two, three, ONE, two, three...

The steps for the basic waltz are:

1. LEFT foot forward
2. RIGHT foot forward, to the right
3. BOTH feet together
1. RIGHT foot back
2. LEFT foot back, to the left
3. BOTH feet together
Repeat.

The Waltz jump is the simplest jump in figure skating.
It is one half rotation in the air from a forward take off.
While skating backward, the skater steps forward onto their left/right leg.
The skater leaps into the air while swinging the free leg in front of them.
The skater turns backward in the air so that they land on the toe pick of the opposite leg.

Back to Figure Skating

Waltz (?), n. [G. walzer, from walzen to roll, revolve, dance, OHG. walzan to roll; akin to AS. wealtan. See Welter.]

A dance performed by two persons in circular figures with a whirling motion; also, a piece of music composed in triple measure for this kind of dance.

 

© Webster 1913.


Waltz, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Waltzed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Waltzing.]

To dance a waltz.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.