In baseball, a loose term for a relief pitcher getting credited with a Win that he doesn't seem to deserve.
    Example: Say the score is Visitors 0, Home 0 in the 8th inning. Home team at bat, 2 outs. The Visitors' starting pitcher has been nearly unhittable but has to leave the game for some reason. Joe Schmoe comes in to pitch for the Visitors throws one pitch to get the out, and ends the inning.

    In the top of the 9th, the visiting team scores 8 runs for an 8-0 lead. Schmoe is removed from the game, and Jimmy Benchwarmer pitches the 9th perfectly to end it; visitors win, 8-0.

    By the rules of baseball, Schmoe gets credit for the win. He only threw one pitch compared with the starter's 7-2/3 innings of hard work, but he was the "pitcher of record" when those 8 runs scored.

The thing about the Vulture Win is that the pitcher basically lucked into it. It's even worse if he gives up a ton of runs but gets the win anyway -- this happens a lot to closers who blow their save opportunities.

It's not an official term, but ballplayers and journalists are fond of it, and it's particularly handy in fantasy baseball. If your starting pitcher was supposed to get the win in the example above, and it goes to Schmoe instead, you'd be pretty pissed off. "Vulture win" comes in handy when you complain to your buddies about it. Alternatively, if you happen to have Schmoe on your fantasy team, it's pretty damn funny.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.