Latin, a humourous insult derived from the television show The Simpsons: Eat my shorts.

Vescere looks like an infinitive verb at a glance, but in fact it is the second person singular of the third conjugation deponent verb vescor "I eat," in the imperative voice. The infinitive of vescor is vesci "to eat."

Vescor is one of several Latin verbs which allows the ablative case and accusative case to be used interchangeably with no substantial difference in meaning. When ablative nouns are used with vescor, they are treated as the direct object of the verb, rather than as the object of a prepositional phrase.

Bracis is the ablative plural of the feminine noun braca "breeches," referring to a garment never worn by actual ancient Romans; the word itself is probably derived from Transalpine Gaulish braca "leggings."

Meis is the ablative plural of meus "my," and stands in grammatical agreement with bracis. The ablative case of possessive Latin pronouns is always gender-agnostic, meaning we do not have to use a separate form of the pronoun for masculine, feminine, or neuter nouns, provided the noun is ablative.

If one wishes to use the accusative case instead of the ablative, we will need to account for the fact that Latin possessive pronouns are not gender-agnostic in the accusative case. The feminine accusative plural of meus is meas, so the correct form in this instance would be "Vescere bracas meas."

Iron Noder 2015, 12/30

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.