There are many combinations of vegetables which one might use to construct a tasty vegan pizza. What follows are two recipes I've used and found to be wonderful.

Pesto & Veggies

Ingredients

  • pesto
  • crust (use any yeast bread recipe; this one makes enough for 2 crusts)
    • 1 cup warm water
    • 1 tablespoon yeast
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2.5 cups flour
    • 0.5 cup corn meal
    • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • marinated artichoke hearts
  • 1 medium eggplant
  • 2 medium-sized tomato

Method

Start by mixing up the bread dough. Dissolve the yeast, sugar, and salt in the water, and then stir in the flour, corn meal, and oil. Knead the dough thoroughly and set it aside to let it rise.

Wash the vegetables. Into a food processor, put the garlic, olive oil, almonds, basil, and the mint leaves. Blend them into a smooth green paste. Add salt until it tastes right (I don't like a lot of salt, so my recipes wind up being on the low side for most people's tastes). Set the pesto aside.

Slice the eggplant into 1/2 cm thick slices. In a frying pan put just enough oil to keep the eggplant from sticking, and cook the slices. You don't need to cook them thoroughly -- they're going on the pizza and into an oven, after all -- but get both sides cooked for about a minute. Stack the cooked eggplant slices on a plate and set them aside.

By now, the bread dough may have risen enough. Punch it down, divide into two equal portions, and roll out the crusts. Paint the crusts with the pesto.

Lay the eggplant slices on the pizzas. Put the artichoke hearts on the pizzas. Dice the tomatoes and put them on. Bake the pizzas at 375 for about 25 minutes (to cook the crust).

Olive Oil & Veggies

Ingredients

Method

Brush the crusts with olive oil. Cut the vegetables up into smallish pieces and strew them about on the crusts. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.

I first had this kind of pizza at a bar. It goes quite well with beer, and the lack of tomato sauce and cheese means that you can actually taste the vegetables.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.