1980s recording artist and former protogee of The Artist.

Born Denise Matthews in 1959. Changed her name to Vanity when she hooked up with Prince in the early 1980s. He formed a lingerie group around her called Vanity 6.

Vanity 6's most memorable hit song was called "Nasty Girl" and though they were completely untalented, they got a lot of attention for looking like skanks. She and Prince later broke up and he took replaced with an Mexican actress named Patty Kotero who Prince renamed Appolonia. The "Appolonia 6" appeared in Purple Rain.

Vanity released a two more albums and appeared on tv (in one really cool episode of "Friday the 13th--The Series")and in the movies like The Last Dragon and Action Jackson.

In the early 90s she was engaged to Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue. They eventually broke up because they were both complete losers and coke fiends.

Years later Vanity gave her life to Jesus and was "born again." She changed her name back to Denise and is now not nearly as interesting as she once was.

Personally, I'm waiting for the "E! True Hollywood Story" to come out.

Van"i*ty (?), n.; pl. Vanities (#). [OE. vanite, vanit'e, L. vanitas, fr. vanus empty, vain. See Vain.]

1.

The quality or state of being vain; want of substance to satisfy desire; emptiness; unsubstantialness; unrealness; falsity.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity. Eccl. i. 2.

Here I may well show the vanity of that which is reported in the story of Walsingham. Sir J. Davies.

2.

An inflation of mind upon slight grounds; empty pride inspired by an overweening conceit of one's personal attainments or decorations; an excessive desire for notice or approval; pride; ostentation; conceit.

The exquisitely sensitive vanity of Garrick was galled. Macaulay.

3.

That which is vain; anything empty, visionary, unreal, or unsubstantial; fruitless desire or effort; trifling labor productive of no good; empty pleasure; vain pursuit; idle show; unsubstantial enjoyment.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher. Eccl. i. 2.

Vanity possesseth many who are desirous to know the certainty of things to come. Sir P. Sidney.

[Sin] with vanity had filled the works of men. Milton.

Think not, when woman's transient breath is fled, That all her vanities at once are dead; Succeeding vanities she still regards. Pope.

4.

One of the established characters in the old moralities and puppet shows. See Morality, n., 5.

You . . . take vanity the puppet's part. Shak.

Syn. -- Egotism; pride; emptiness; worthlessness; self-sufficiency. See Egotism, and Pride.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.