Bread made without leavening, an agent which causes fermentation, or anything which introduces air into the bread dough. Most cultures around the world have some form of unleavened bread, which is usually a flat bread, which may be consumed right off the griddle, or which may be cooked longer and stored (crackers).

My daughter gets credit for this gluten free version as I wouldn't have tried it without her. We made two batches of this, the second is the recipe you see here.

  • 1 cup gluten free flour. I used 3 parts sorghum flour to 1 part quinoa flour. Feel free to substitute as you see fit, however I feel as if the quinoa cuts the sweetness of other flours and gives it a slightly more authentic flavor.
  • Pinch of salt - I used sea salt.
  • 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, or a long glug from your bottle.
  • Spices or seasonings of your choice. My daughter chose Italian seasoning with black pepper. Add in small judicious quantities to suit your personal preferences.
  • Water - Drizzle over your flour, and mix until it comes together to form a loose ball.

Heat your oven to 350 degrees. While your oven warms, mix everything together in a small bowl. You can measure your ingredients, or you can do what we did, which is eyeball and guess. Most recipes call for kneading, I did not knead my dough as it seemed to come together well. After mixing, I pressed it into a lightly greased 8 x 8 glass pan, and baked it for 15 minutes.

Your goal is a thin, flat, slightly tacky pancake thickness dough layer that covers the bottom of your pan. I've been warned that this burns easily, the edges of our batch were brown, but we managed to avoid scorching anything. This is a bland recipe, made for religious reasons rather than as a culinary delight. Although we are not Jewish, my daughter wanted to make her own Passover meal, so we served this with garlic infused olive oil for dipping, lamb, and Welch's Grape Juice.

Garlic infused olive oil

  • Several cloves of garlic, in my house, more means merrier. I use organic garlic, and I think that makes a difference. Also, make sure it is fresh, and not wilted, dehydrated, or sprouting.
  • The best cold pressed organic extra virgin olive oil you can afford. I have several brands I rotate between, depending on what is on sale when I shop.

Some recipes call for whirring this through your blender, and straining, but I prefer to grate the cloves, and leave them in the oil. Grate as much peeled garlic as you would like to, and cover with twice as much olive oil as you have garlic. This will give you a 2:1 ratio of oil to grated garlic. Although it is ready for use immediately, I find the flavors meld and deepen if you leave it for several days. Tonight I heaped the garlic and oil on top of our unleavened bread, and my daughter and I both agreed that it was good. If you try any of this at home, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.