This is an exercise with a golf club that you can do anywhere, since it doesn't involve hitting a ball. It will improve your swing in ways you can't possibly comprehend. Much as Keith Richards reports discovering magic in the guitar everytime he picks one up to noodle for an hour or four, I've learned something new every time I've done this drill. I hope it helps you too.

Get two short clubs, such as a sand and pitching wedge. Sand wedge is very good because of its extra weight. Take the clubs into each hand, using your standard grip (interlockers have a disadvantage here). Align the faces as you normally would for a straight shot. Hold your arms straight down, perpendicular to the shoulders, and slightly inside the body. Keeping the shafts of the clubs parallel, swing back. Only with a connected backswing will the clubs stay parallel, approximately 1' apart, throughout the swing. Try to swing back all the way until your left shoulder is under your chin. If you can't quite get there, don't worry, go as far with the shoulders as you can. Problems holding the clubs parallel point to problems with your swing. Note in particular two things: requirement that the right elbow hinge into the correct area of space to promote a free full backswing and proper connectedness of the arms to the shoulders. Check that both clubfaces are still square to your elbows at the top. Hold it like Bob Murphy. Stretch in the top position. Feel the burn. Swing back and forth a bit with these clubs parallel. Make sure that little dogs aren't around, as they will get maimed by the Mechadon action of your dualing (he he) clubheads.

Another form of two-club practice is to take 3- and 5-wood, put them together, and swing them together to get warmed up on the first tee. The extra weight ensures a nice centrifugesque motion, and sets you up for a good day. It also warms up the muscles faster.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.