Overture to Atmospheres
(2:49)
(Gyorgy Ligeti)
Ernest Bour conducting the Sudwesfunk Orchestra

Also Sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spake Zarathustra)
(1:41)
(Richard Strauss)
Herbert von Karajan conducting the Vienna Philharmonic

Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo Soprano, Two Mixed Choirs & Orchestra
(6:33)
(Gyorgy Ligeti)
Francis Travis conducting the Bavarian Radio Orchestra

The Blue Danube (excerpt)
(5:42)
(Johann Strauss)
Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

Lux Aeterna
(2:52)
(Gyorgy Ligeti)
Clytus Gottwold conducting the Stuttgart Schola Cantorum

Gayane Ballet Suite (Adagio)
(5:25)
(Aram Khachaturian)
Gennadi Rezhdestvensky conducting the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra

Jupiter And Beyond (15:13)
(Gyorgy Ligeti)

a) Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo Soprano, Two Mixed Choirs & Orchestra
Francis Travis conducting the Bavarian Radio Orchestra

b) Atmospheres
Ernest Bour conducting the Sudwesfunk Orchestra

c) Adventures (Altered for film)
Gyorgy Ligeti conducting Internationale Musikinstitut Darmstardt


Please note that the original MGM soundtrack to the film used a different recording of Also Sprach Zarathustra, lasting 1:39 and featuring Ernest Bour conducting the Sudwesfunk Orchestra.

Kubrick had originally called upon Alex North (the composer of the score to Spartacus) to compose the music for 2001, but eventually decided to use his temporary music tracks. The decision to use classical tracks, rather than contemporary music, went against the grain of sf films, but then, so did everything else about the film. Stanley Kubrick wanted the film to be as far from a cliché as possible, and succeeded in the extreme. The use of the Blue Danube alongside the pirouettes of microgravity was memorable and has since been used, along with Also Sprach Zarathustra, by both NASA and The Simpsons.

The observant may have noticed the qualifier "altered" next to Adventures. This is because the prescence of unseen aliens in the 18th century room scene at the end is suggested by an alteration of this piece to create music sounding like laughter. Ligeti reportedly took offence at the unauthorised modification of his music, and took (successful) legal action.

I could not possibly conclude without paying tribute to Kubrick's genius in using Also Sprach Zarathustra, a piece of music now synonymous with 2001 and what has become possibly the coolest piece of music from a science fiction film ever.

The use of the music to set scene and mood is nothing short of genius --
It has already been discussed how Richard Strauss' contribution to the score -- and how it lodged itself in the culture, but in truth The Blue Danube has now become synonymous with the elegant movements of null G. Khachaturian'a adagio, quite possibly the most beautiful peice of music i have ever heard, was also re-used in Alien when depicting the ship... another spaceship on which something goes horribly wrong. The mournful strains of the two violins playing against each other with minimal accompaniment from the rest of the orchestra does evoke a certain solitary, paranoic feeling extremely conducive to the two films.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.