The tachi is a Japanese sword, normally wielded by cavalry troops due to its length, which can be up to 4 feet in some cases. This sword differs from its direct ancestor, the chokuto in that it has a narrow blade with a single edge, and is highly curved, apparently making it easier to draw from the scabbard in one motion. Tachis also usually had a metal band or hole in the butt of the hilt called a kashira so that a cord could be attached and wrapped around the wrist

These blades were in common use between 800-1200 A.D., before a change in military tactics led to the creation of the katana

Although a katana is indeed worn thrust through the belt, on the left hand side with the edge up, a katana is not the only kind of Japanese sword.

A tachi, for example, is worn in a sling with the edge down.

This is mostly a matter of tradition, but it is easy to see that a curved slung sword will be more stable edge down. Similarly, some experimentation will show that a curved sword stuck in your belt will be more secure with the edge up.

When tachi were commonly worn, it was common to have a short katana as a backup blade -- not unlike the way a wakizashi is worn with a katana. Since the katana was worn as a secondary weapon, it was kept thrust through the belt.

At about the same time that heavy armor, like oyoroi, was replaced with lighter and closer fitting armor, like haramaki and domaru, it became common to wear a single, longer, katana instead of the tachi. Even after that point, generals still wore full oyoroi with slung tachi on the battlefield.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.