Sus*pect" (?), a. [L. suspectus, p.p. of suspicere to look up, admire, esteem, to look at secretly or askance, to mistrust; sub under + specere to look: cf. F. suspect suspected, suspicious. See Spy, and cf. Suspicion.]

1.

Suspicious; inspiring distrust.

[Obs.]

Suspect [was] his face, suspect his word also. Chaucer.

2.

Suspected; distrusted.

[Obs.]

What I can do or offer is suspect. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sus*pect", n. [LL. suspectus. See Suspect, a.]

1.

Suspicion.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

So with suspect, with fear and grief, dismayed. Fairfax.

2.

One who, or that which, is suspected; an object of suspicion; -- formerly applied to persons and things; now, only to persons suspected of crime.

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sus*pect", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Suspected; p. pr. & vb. n. Suspecting.]

1.

To imagine to exist; to have a slight or vague opinion of the existence of, without proof, and often upon weak evidence or no evidence; to mistrust; to surmise; -- commonly used regarding something unfavorable, hurtful, or wrong; as, to suspect the presence of disease.

Nothing makes a man suspect much, more than to know little; and therefore men should remedy suspicion by producing to know more. Bacon.

From her hand I could suspect no ill. Milton.

2.

To imagine to be guilty, upon slight evidence, or without proof; as, to suspect one of equivocation.

3.

To hold to be uncertain; to doubt; to mistrust; to distruct; as, to suspect the truth of a story.

Addison.

4.

To look up to; to respect.

[Obs.]

Syn. -- To mistrust; distrust; surmise; doubt.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sus*pect", v. i.

To imagine guilt; to have a suspicion or suspicions; to be suspicious.

If I suspect without cause, why then make sport at time. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.