Suck (http://www.suck.com) is a web site which does daily essays with very cool cartoon illustrations. Their artist, Terry Colon, is really wonderful. They've been around since 1995 or something ungodly like that, back when people thought there was money to be made in content on the web.

They're very "negative", "sarcastic", and "ironic" and whatnot. Good stuff. They recently (as of March 2000) ran an essay criticizing the overuse of so-called "scare quotes". On Wednesdays they run a nifty "comic strip" called Filler; Filler is unique and remarkable in that it is the only "online" "comic strip" on the entire net which is actually funny.

Suck is the first thing any mammal does next to breathe after it has been born. If a creature cannot suck it's mother's milk it will die {unless it is an infant human}. In which case the medical profession won't allow it to die but will supplant the lack of sucking with IV drips and other artificial life prolonging methods.

As we grow up some get over the need to suck but most of us keep the desire to suck and hence the continuing success of oral sex, nipples, icecreams, lollipops, kissing,toothpicks, bananas, fingers, bubblegum, drinking straws in bottles of coke... well the list of things we put in our mouths and suck on is endless. Since sucking is so cool and pleasurable - how come it is associated with 'bad' things, with negative things? It's a mystery to me.

The Nine Inch Nails song "Suck" was originally created by Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor with Pigface and appeared on Pigface's Gub album (released in 1990). Reznor also co-wrote the song "The Bushmaster" on that release. Pigface creates industrial music and has an ever-changing line-up of musicians involved from song to song. Martin Atkins started Pigface and is always involved.

The Pigface version of the song is much different from the Nine Inch Nails version. The Pigface version's main focus is on the drums and vocals, while the version Reznor recreated for the Nine Inch Nails release Broken in 1992 added heavy guitar riffs and put more emphasis on feelings of anger. After each screaming of "how does it feel" on the Pigface version, Reznor adds "suck suck suck" in a quieter voice. This is missing from the version on Broken, though has appeared in live Nine Inch Nails performances of the song.

For a short time, copies of Broken featured a smaller, 3 inch disc in addition to the normal 5 inch disc. "Physical (You're So)" and "Suck" both appeared on the smaller disc, with the rest of Broken's songs on the larger one. Now the two songs appear as secret tracks (tracks 98 and 99, respectively) on the same CD as the rest, though aren't listed on the track list.

'Suck' is a common English slang term meaning that something is bad or undesirable.

Since the 1920s various constructions involving the word 'suck' have been used for fellatio, and other expressions such as 'suck hind tit' (referring to the runt of the litter being regulated to the least attractive feeding spot) and 'suck it up' (military slang meaning to pull in your gut) added to the negative connotation of the word. In the early 1970s suck broke free of its various idioms, and came to fill something akin to its current meaning. The sexual connotation remained with it for decades, but these days it is generally considered to be innocuous by the majority of the population.

Suck is, of course a verb, but it also comes in adjective form, sucky, and may occasionally be used as a noun ("that's pure suck").

Well, this writeup sucked.

Suck (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sucked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Sucking.] [OE. suken, souken, AS. scan, sgan; akin to D. zuigen, G. saugen, OHG. sgan, Icel. sga, sjga, Sw. suga, Dan. suge, L. sugere. Cf. Honeysuckle, Soak, Succulent, Suction.]

1.

To draw, as a liquid, by the action of the mouth and tongue, which tends to produce a vacuum, and causes the liquid to rush in by atmospheric pressure; to draw, or apply force to, by exhausting the air.

2.

To draw liquid from by the action of the mouth; as, to suck an orange; specifically, to draw milk from (the mother, the breast, etc.) with the mouth; as, the young of an animal sucks the mother, or dam; an infant sucks the breast.

3.

To draw in, or imbibe, by any process resembles sucking; to inhale; to absorb; as, to suck in air; the roots of plants suck water from the ground.

4.

To draw or drain.

Old ocean, sucked through the porous globe. Thomson.

5.

To draw in, as a whirlpool; to swallow up.

As waters are by whirlpools sucked and drawn. Dryden.

To suck in, to draw into the mouth; to imbibe; to absorb. -- To suck out, to draw out with the mouth; to empty by suction. -- To suck up, to draw into the mouth; to draw up by suction absorption.

 

© Webster 1913.


Suck, v. i.

1.

To draw, or attempt to draw, something by suction, as with the mouth, or through a tube.

Where the bee sucks, there suck I. Shak.

2.

To draw milk from the breast or udder; as, a child, or the young of an animal, is first nourished by sucking.

3.

To draw in; to imbibe; to partake.

The crown had sucked too hard, and now, being full, was like to draw less. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Suck, n.

1.

The act of drawing with the mouth.

2.

That which is drawn into the mouth by sucking; specifically, mikl drawn from the breast.

Shak.

3.

A small draught.

[Colloq.]

Massinger.

4.

Juice; succulence.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.