Strawberry Alarm Clock was a psychedelic band of the mid-'60s, reaching the top of the charts with "Incense and Peppermints" at the height of the flower power era.

"Ed King with The Strawberry Alarm Clock 1967." Originally called the Sixpence, the Californian group consisted of Ed King (lead guitar), Lee Freeman (rhythm guitar), Gary Lovetro (bass), Mark Weitz (organ), and Randy Seol (drums).

On the band's debut single, "Incense and Peppermints," lead vocals were sung by Greg Munford, a 16-year-old friend of the band. Before recording their full-length debut album, the band added George Bunnell, who also played bass; more importantly, Bunnell became the group's main songwriter.

In the summer of 1967, The Strawberry Alarm Clock contributed music to the film Psych-Out, as well as appearing in it. Gary Lovetro left the band before they recorded their second album, Wake Up It's Tomorrow, which also appeared in 1967. Between 1968's The World in a Seashell "Wow...that "Sea Shell" album was SUCH A PIECE OF SHIT!!! The producer went out and got these real wimpy songs for us to record. Man...it was an AWFUL TIME!!!!" "Ed" and 1969's Good Morning Starshine the band went through a number of lineup changes; as of Good Morning Starshine the band featured King on bass, Weitz, guitarist Jimmy Pitman, and drummer Gene Gunnels.

By this time, The Strawberry Alarm Clock had lost much of its audience. They managed to keep performing until 1971, when the band finally broke up. Ed King went on to join Lynyrd Skynyrd; several of the former members of Strawberry Alarm Clock reunited in the '80s to perform on oldies tours.




http://www.soft.net.uk/stevehoare/edking4.htm




Discography:

    Incense And Peppermints; 1967
    Wake Up , It's Tomorrow; 1967
    The World In A Seashell; 1968
    Good Morning Starshine; 1969
    Strawberries Mean Love; 1987

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.