A pouch-shaped organ that forms part of the digestive tract between the esophagus and the duodenum. It is made of muscle and lined with a mucous membrane that protects it from the acids which it secretes to aid digestion.

Also, the belly or abdomen. Note that the actual stomach is located higher up than the region of the body which is usually called the stomach. Many stomachaches are intestinal, just as heartburn is really a stomach condition.

The organ that is use specificly for digestion of protein. It lack ingestion function (only little can they absorb). One of the important function is the production of intrinsic factor. This factor is the most important thing for Vitamin B12 absorption.

Stom"ach (?), n. [OE. stomak, F. estomac, L. stomachus, fr. Gr. sto`machos stomach, throat, gullet, fr. sto`ma a mouth, any outlet or entrance.]

1. Anat.

An enlargement, or series of enlargements, in the anterior part of the alimentary canal, in which food is digested; any cavity in which digestion takes place in an animal; a digestive cavity. See Digestion, and Gastric juice, under Gastric.

2.

The desire for food caused by hunger; appetite; as, a good stomach for roast beef.

Shak.

3.

Hence appetite in general; inclination; desire.

He which hath no stomach to this fight, Let him depart. Shak.

4.

Violence of temper; anger; sullenness; resentment; willful obstinacy; stubbornness.

[Obs.]

Stern was his look, and full of stomach vain. Spenser.

This sort of crying proceeding from pride, obstinacy, and stomach, the will, where the fault lies, must be bent. Locke.

5.

Pride; haughtiness; arrogance.

[Obs.]

He was a man Of an unbounded stomach. Shak.

Stomach pump Med., a small pump or syringe with a flexible tube, for drawing liquids from the stomach, or for injecting them into it. -- Stomach tube Med., a long flexible tube for introduction into the stomach. -- Stomach worm Zool., the common roundworm (Ascaris lumbricoides) found in the human intestine, and rarely in the stomach.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stom"ach, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stomached (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Stomaching.] [Cf. L. stomachari, v.t. & i., to be angry or vexed at a thing.]

1.

To resent; to remember with anger; to dislike.

Shak.

The lion began to show his teeth, and to stomach the affront. L'Estrange.

The Parliament sit in that body . . . to be his counselors and dictators, though he stomach it. Milton.

2.

To bear without repugnance; to brook.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Stom"ach, v. i.

To be angry.

[Obs.]

Hooker.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.