Japanese alcoholic drink with a shochu base and flavored non-carbonated mixer.

There are many flavors of sours, such as:

Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Ume, Apple, and Calpis

Sours can be found at most any izakaya and nomiya and sometimes at bars. They are usually the cheapest drink on the menu. A good izakaya will give you a lemon, lime, or grapefruit to squeeze into your drink.

Sours are usually served in jyokki, but usually can be ordered in a plain glass. Compare and notice the difference between a chuuhai and a sour; carbonation and non-carbonation.

Also, any number of alcoholic drinks made by combining liquor, lemon juice, and sugar. Examples include Whiskey Sour, Rum Sour, Amaretto Sour, etc.

Sour (?), a. [Compar. Sourer (?); superl. Sourest.] [OE. sour, sur, AS. sr; akin to D. zuur, G. sauer, OHG. sr, Icel. srr, Sw. sur, Dan. suur, Lith. suras salt, Russ. surovui harsh, rough. Cf. Sorrel, the plant.]

1.

Having an acid or sharp, biting taste, like vinegar, and the juices of most unripe fruits; acid; tart.

All sour things, as vinegar, provoke appetite. Bacon.

2.

Changed, as by keeping, so as to be acid, rancid, or musty, turned.

3.

Disagreeable; unpleasant; hence; cross; crabbed; peevish; morose; as, a man of a sour temper; a sour reply.

"A sour countenance."

Swift.

He was a scholar . . . Lofty and sour to them that loved him not, But to those men that sought him sweet as summer. Shak.

4.

Afflictive; painful.

"Sour adversity."

Shak.

5.

Cold and unproductive; as, sour land; a sour marsh.

Sour dock Bot., sorrel. -- Sour gourd Bot., the gourdlike fruit Adansonia Gregorii, and A. digitata; also, either of the trees bearing this fruit. See Adansonia. -- Sour grapes. See under Grape. -- Sour gum Bot. See Turelo. -- Sour plum Bot., the edible acid fruit of an Australian tree (Owenia venosa); also, the tree itself, which furnished a hard reddish wood used by wheelwrights.

Syn. -- Acid; sharp; tart; acetous; acetose; harsh; acrimonious; crabbed; currish; peevish.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sour, n.

A sour or acid substance; whatever produces a painful effect.

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sour, v. t. [AS. srian to sour, to become sour.]

1.

To cause to become sour; to cause to turn from sweet to sour; as, exposure to the air sours many substances.

So the sun's heat, with different powers, Ripens the grape, the liquor sours. Swift.

2.

To make cold and unproductive, as soil.

Mortimer.

3.

To make unhappy, uneasy, or less agreeable.

To sour your happiness I must report, The queen is dead. Shak.

4.

To cause or permit to become harsh or unkindly.

"Souring his cheeks."

Shak.

Pride had not sour'd nor wrath debased my heart. Harte.

5.

To macerate, and render fit for plaster or mortar; as, to sour lime for business purposes.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sour, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Soured (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Souring.]

To become sour; to turn from sweet to sour; as, milk soon sours in hot weather; a kind temper sometimes sours in adversity.

They keep out melancholy from the virtuous, and hinder the hatred of vice from souring into severity. Addison.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.