The ability of a solute to be dissolved in a solvent. It usually occurs between like substances (polar dissolves polar, likewise for non-polar).
Nitrate (NO3) and Halide salts are extremely soluble.

Solubility of Inorganic Substances in Water

  • Nearly all nitrates and acetates are soluble.
  • All chlorides are soluble, except those of silver, mercury (I) and lead (PbCl2 is soluble in hot water).
  • All sulfates are soluble, except barium, strontium and lead.
  • Most of the alkali metal (Group 1) salts and ammonium salts are soluble.
  • All the common acids are soluble.
  • All oxides and hydroxides are insoluble, except those of alkali metals (Group 1) and certain (Ca (moderately), Sr, Ba, Ra) alkaline earth metals (Group 2).
  • All sulfides are insoluble, except those of the alkali metals (Group 1), alkaline earth metals (Group 2) and ammonium.
  • All phosphates, carbonates, chromates, and oxalates are insoluble, except those of alkali metals (Group 1) and ammonium.

Sol`u*bil"i*ty (?), n. [Cf. F. solubilit'e.]

1.

The quality, condition, or degree of being soluble or solvable; as, the solubility of a salt; the solubility of a problem or intricate difficulty.

2. Bot.

The tendency to separate readily into parts by spurious articulations, as the pods of tick trefoil.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.